mozilla 1.4 upgrade from 1.3.1

chris z

chris z: no, it doesn't really matter what directory it ends up in, technically. it's just better to have it in a standard location. /usr/lib/mozilla(version) is good. most programs install into /usr/something.

when I was speaking of /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin i was talking about the links. that is, /usr/bin/mozilla is just a link pointing to /usr/lib/mozilla(version)/mozilla (or whatever the executable is in that dir for mozilla). it's not the actual program, just a link. what you probably have right now is:

/usr/bin/mozilla pointing to /usr/lib/mozilla(oldversion)/mozilla

/usr/local/bin/mozilla pointing to /usr/local/lib/mozilla(newversion)/mozilla

this is because when installed from a tarball (aka source) the default prefix for installation is /usr/local/whatever

try to locate where the new version of mozilla is (i'd guess /usr/local/lib/mozilla(version) as I mentioned earlier) and look in that dir. for the executable (probably just mozilla) then as root

rm -rf /usr/bin/mozilla

(to remove the current link) and do

ln -s /usr/local/lib/mozilla(version)/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla

assuming /usr/local/lib/mozilla(version)/mozilla is the executable for the new install of mozilla.

if you run into issues with 1.4, all you have to do is

rm -rf /usr/bin/mozilla

and

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla(version)/mozilla /usr/bin/mozilla

ok.......i'm at work again, so i can't play with anything Linux while i'm here, but i got the shortcut link to the new Mozilla version working last night, using Tyme's instructions. (thanks!) i still have 2 working versions of Mozilla (1.3.1 & 1.4). that seems to go against what the Mozilla docs & faqs say you can do, 'cause they all say to delete an older version before installing a newer version because things can get corrupted, etc. i've had no problems running 2 versions of Mozilla so far (it's only 2 days, though, so maybe something will happen eventually) anywho, this brings me back to my other question, concerning profiles & settings. here's a link to the Mozilla profile faq page http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/profi...le.html#restore . i've tried the various things they suggest, but i can't seem to get my old profile settings to work in the new version (IE: no bookmarks, view settings, mail settings, etc). has anybody succesfully installed a new version of Mozilla & imported their old settings to the new version, & if so, how? i'm probably sounding redundant now, & i realize that i can just take the time & reset everything to how i want it to be, but i was thinking (hoping) there has to be an easier way! gotta get back to work now. any more suggestions will be appreciated. if it can't be done, then we can just bag this thread, i'll manually set everything, & i'll start asking other questions. again, thanks for all the help with this matter, so far.

Chris

I have successfully migated from one to the other while preserving all settings, etc. The trick is backing up your ./mozilla i feel. I'm not sure if the new one overwrites the old, but I always back it before a new version install.

Well, i thought i went with a smooth transition,

I got all my books, and prefs as before, the only problem is the FKN profile manager that doesnt let my open another window in another v-desktop without first taking one to it, and using FIle, open new window menu.

about books and all that, you should look at your $HOME dir, if there is a .mozilla directory, and there should be all the data.

im also running both 1.3.1 and 1.4 without any glitches except the above.

if you have them both installed and they are both running fin then just su to root and

urpme mozilla

OR

rpm -e mozilla

And it will remove the version that was installed via RPM, the mdk 1.3.1.

You most likely won't lose your settings (/home/yournamehere/.mozilla/)

But it may be wise to back it up before you remove 1.3.1

James

thanks to all who have offered their help & ideas. i have Mozilla 1.4 uninstalled for the moment. i now understand where the profile info is & such, but for some reason i couldn't get M1.4 to recognize & use my M1.3.1 profile. i tried variuos suggestions from you people & from the Mozilla faqs & docs, but nothing seemed to work. as i said before, i could have reset everything manually, but after using M1.4 for 3 days, i honestly wasn't seeing much of an improvement over M1.3.1. it didn't run any faster, which would have been a BIG plus. also, M1.4 needs the newer version of Java (Sun1.4.2 or Blackdown 1.4.1) which wrecked havoc with my M1.3.1 (it made it crash everytime i went to a site with Java). i'll play with the new version again at some other point, but for now i'm just gonna wait 'til a Mandrake RPM comes out & hope that will make things easier. when i upgraded M1.3.0 to M1.3.1 via the Mandrake RPM, everything went smoothly & all i had to do was relink the Java & other plugins. so, consider this case closed for now. on to other questions!

Chris

I just installed the 1.4 myself (from the sea.tar.gz file on the mozilla site) and also got a little frustrated. The directions from the mozilla site, didnt work, but after removing mozilla-mail and not wanting to dork with the Galeon removal because of the dependency issues :banghead: , I just pointed the icon on my desktop (right-click, go to executable tab), and change /usr/bin/mozilla to usr/local/mozilla/mozilla and it launches the 1.4 binary with my profile from the 1.3 install.

after reading the other posts, maybe I'll go back and remove Galeon and Moz 1.3.

Good luck.

Robert

AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

ok, sorry, but i had to get that out! i'm back to playing around with the new & improved???!!! Moz1.4. i finally got the 1.3.1 profile loading into 1.4 via a new shortcut pointing to 1.4. (thanks frosterrj!) now, i'm in Java h*ll! ok, i was in Jave h*ll. i'm back to Java heaven, at least in Moz1.3.1. i have no Java in 1.4 at the moment. i installed the SunJava j2re 1.4.2 per the Mozilla.org recommendation, to use with Moz1.4. when it installed, it (of course) removed my older Java package (j2re 1.3.1). i did sym links to the java plugin, fired up Moz1.4 & tried a Java enabled page to see how (if) it worked. i went to DSLReports to try some of their Java tweak tests. everytime i clicked on one, the browser would crash. i tried each Java plugin (ns4, ns600, ns610) with the same results. it got worse.....Moz1.3.1 would also crash on Java pages (i tried a few different sites just to make sure it wasn't something exclusive to DSLReports). worse still, Konqueror wouldn't not load Java pages. (at least it didn't crash) then, out of the blue, both versions of Moz wouldn't load, period. i'd click on a shortcut, it would start loading in Kicker, then it would bomb. worse still (again) other applications were bombing........MCC, Konqueror, KCC, etc. i decided to run them from terminal & they still bombed, but i was getting error messages in terminal about XFont errors, cursor errors, etc. (i should have written them down but i didn't...sorry). i basically couldn't get ANY program to run. so, when in doubt.....reboot! as it was shutting down the system, i got a "failed" notification when it tried to shut down Xfontserver or Drakx (again, i was panicked & p*ssed to i didn't take notes). i kept going, rebooted, & everything loaded fine & i was back to the KDE desktop. i promptly uninstalled j2re1.4.2, reinstalled j2re1.3.1, relinked everything & got it all working again...except i'm back to square one & have no working Java in Moz1.4. sooooo...........more questions! has anybody had similar headaches with Moz1.4? j2re1.4.1? why would Java crash the Xfonts? has anybody gotten Java to work in Moz1.4? and, if so, what version of Java & how? ok, i guess i got a bit wordy again, so i'll stop for now & await some answers & suggestions. time for a Gin & Tonics!

as always, thanks,

Chris

just bumping this 'cause i haven't seen any more suggestions or comments. maybe there are no more, i dunno. but, since my above post, i haven't done much with Moz1.4. it's still running along side Moz1.3.1, still Java-less. since i don't want to go through these headaches again, i've been leaving well enough alone until i got some more advise. i saw on another thread that somebody was having font problems with Moz1.4. was this version released too early, maybe? it seems to be full of bugs. anywho, i was just hoping to get this resolved. if nothing more comes of it, i'll probably just get rid of 1.4 'cause i'm quite happy (so far) with 1.3.1, & i use Konqueror more often for my surfing because it's a lot faster than Mozilla (i think).

Chris