mozilla 1.4 upgrade from 1.3.1

chris z

hi all,

this is my first post, so please be gentle. i am quite the newbie. i've been using (ummm.....struggling to use) Mandrake 9.1 for the last month now. as far as that's concerned, i'm sure i'll have many more questions. my latest struggle is how to install/upgrade to the latest version of Mozilla. i'm currently running version 1.3.1. i've downloaded the Mozilla installer, the plain old tar.gz file, & even the RedHat rpm. i've tried the first 2 files, per the installation instructions from Mozilla. the RedHat rpm scares me 'cause it tells me it has to uninstall Galeon & Mozilla 1.3.1 before continuing. sooo, i've managed to install M1.4 via the first 2 methods, BUT, my confusion is thus........... first, the only way i can get the new version to run is to do it through Konsole, using the ./mozilla command. i can't figure out how to run it via a shortcut on the Kicker or KDesktop. soooo..... once i do get it running via the Konsole, i don't have any of my version 1.3.1 bookmarks, mail, settings, etc. i read about saving your old profile & copying it into the newer version, but i can't quite get it to work. sorry for the ramble, but my question is, are there any easy to understand instructions for a newbie on how to install/upgrade to Mozilla 1.4 without losing all of my old setting & how do i run it without going into Konsole? or, do i just have to wait for a Mandrake RPM to come out? i'll leave it at that for now & hope i don't get flamed too bad. any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Chris

IBM Aptiva

40 g HD

256 megs RAM

Win98/Mandrake 9.1 dual boot

Lilo

If your in kde you should be able to make a link Mozilla by right clicking on desktop. In the new menu that pops up go to new > then choose link to application I think (I run gnome). Then a box shoul pop up fill out the fields it asks for and point the command filed to where you installed mozilla eg.

/home/user/Mozilla-1.4/mozilla choose an icon and ok out you should have a new icon on your desktop. As for the setting book marks etc grab a copy of

/home/username/.mozilla/ before installing. It's hidden so you might need to enable show hidden files and folders under configure Konqueror.

I'd really advise you to wait till Mandrake releases a version though.

Welcome,

and sounds like your progressing way ahead of the scheduled learning curve.

I could not find a tutorial with a quick search of their site. The tar files normally have an install/readme file with the instructions included.

No need to worry about the rpm wanting to uninstall those two apps first. I don't worry unless it wants to wipe out a complete window manager set (like kde or gnome). Galeon would have been easy to reinstall from your CD's and Mozilla 1.3.1 would not be necessary anymore.

Your old settings should be in a hidden directory in your home folder (.mozilla). These may have been overwritten with a new install, I don't really know.

Creating a new shortcut is pretty simple.

1) Right click on desktop and choose create new/ link to application.

2) Put Mozilla where it says "link to application" (you can change the gear icon to something else by clicking on this pic at left)

3) Click execute tab and put "mozilla" there.

4) Click ok

Also note: in meantime use mozilla to start (without ./ --- I think this starts it for root user as opposed to your normal user).

the problem is that you probably have a link: /usr/bin/mozilla that points to your old mozilla install and a link: /usr/local/bin/mozilla pointing to your new mozilla install.

do as recommended to add a new link on your desktop-but for the link put the full path to the mozilla executable of the new install.

as for the profile, erm, i dunno :?

p.s.-in the future, when you run ./configure you should add --prefix=/usr so that it would be:

./configure --prefix=/usr

this will make everything install in /usr/whatever instead of /usr/local/whatever

Also note: in meantime use mozilla to start (without ./ --- I think this starts it for root user as opposed to your normal user).
Not to be a nitpick, but this is wrong. If a program is not in your path, and you go into the directory that it's located in, ./whatever will execute that program. if you just do "whatever" it will look for that in the your path (usually set to /usr/bin). as explained in my post, the problem most likely is that when installer from the tarball (from source) the link created is usually placed in /usr/local/bin by default. when he runs mozilla, it looks in /usr/bin (where his old link is) and that causes problems-it's not looking where the new one is.

Welcome

hi all,

this is my first post, so please be gentle. i am quite the newbie. i've been using (ummm.....struggling to use) Mandrake 9.1 for the last month now.  

i'll leave it at that for now & hope i don't get flamed too bad. any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry, we all were newbies to linux/unix once.

Flamed? Never! You posted coz you wanted help and that's what you'll get!! Post if you have any problems you can't overcome.

the RedHat rpm scares me 'cause it tells me it has to uninstall Galeon & Mozilla 1.3.1 before continuing. sooo,

Galeon needs Mozilla 1.3.1 because it uses mozilla to render pages. If you have The new Mozilla 1.4, you won't need Galeon. Use the RedHat RPM if you want. Where did you get it? I might like it

Good luck!

James

those user prefs and bookmarks and such would have been in

/home/yournamehere/.mozilla

Its a hidden folder. in there, you'll see the directory for it if you browse around.

this may have been overwritten on the first run of moz 1.4. those 1.3 items may have been overwritten.

for future reference, if you have a source tarball and a /opt directory, you can install it where YOU want it to go, and it will save you tons of headache.

and when you put a ./ in front of a command, all it means is to look for program in your current directory.

Don't worry, we all were newbies to linux/unix once.

Flamed? Never! You posted coz you wanted help and that's what you'll get!! Post if you have any problems you can't overcome.

damn straight. this is the MUO...we'll only flame ya if you're in the offtopic room!! :evilmod:

Not to be a nitpick, but this is wrong.

nitpick

:twisted: :lol:

Your right, tho, so mod me :wink:

I wasn't thinking he probally now has two working mozilla versions in there and should use the full path to eliminate any condusion. I had just upgraded mine and mozilla goes right to the new install.

I wasn't thinking he probally now has two working mozilla versions in there and should use the full path to eliminate any condusion. I had just upgraded mine and mozilla goes right to the new install.
but how did you do it? RPM? tar.gz?

but how did you do it?  RPM?  tar.gz?

RPM via MDK's install software (gurpmi) and it's was only a version 1.3 to 1.3.1 upgrade. And FYI, all I could find was a shell script for mozilla in /usr/bin, no other executables in any place. The mozilla 1.3 folders was cleaned out ---exept for a symlink for plugins to the new 1.3.1 folder.

i'm just in "waking up/coffee mode" & have to go to work (grrr) soon, so i won't be able to try any of these suggestions 'til later, but thatnks for all of the replies!

Use the RedHat RPM if you want. Where did you get it? I might like it

i got the RedHat RPM from the Mozilla 1.4 download page. it's an i386. they have that & the SRPM.

wasn't thinking he probally now has two working mozilla versions in there and should use the full path to eliminate any condusion. I had just upgraded mine and mozilla goes right to the new install.

yeah, i do have 2 working versions now. that's what's confusing me. Mozilla says to uninstall any older versions first. but, that woried me a bit 'cause if the new version bombed or was too buggy, then i'd be screwed, so i installed the new version in spite of that fact. it's working fine, as is version 1.3.1 (which i'm using now). i just thought (was hoping) there might be an easy way to import or preserve all of my old settings in the newer version.

i gotta run now. i'll try linking the new version to a shortcut as suggested later. i'll keep you all updated & once i get this worked out, prepare for more questions. (yep.......i do search the posts before asking something......i've been lurking here for a month now & this forum has been a great help!)

laters,

Chris

IBM Aptiva

40 g HD

256 megs RAM

Win98/Mandrake 9.1 dual boot

Lilo

yeah, i do have 2 working versions now. that's what's confusing me. Mozilla says to uninstall any older versions first. but, that woried me a bit 'cause if the new version bombed or was too buggy, then i'd be screwed, so i installed the new version in spite of that fact.

I used Mozilla 1.4 beta and it was very stable, had it's quirks but was very very good. If you want download the RPM of the older one so you can remove it. The downloaded RPM is in case anything goes wrong you can revert back. Unlikely. Mozilla is also on your Mandrake discs. So no worry there. Maybe just keep em together for a while then remove the older one.

Good luck!

James

but how did you do it?  RPM?  tar.gz?

RPM via MDK's install software (gurpmi) and it's was only a version 1.3 to 1.3.1 upgrade. And FYI, all I could find was a shell script for mozilla in /usr/bin, no other executables in any place. The mozilla 1.3 folders was cleaned out ---exept for a symlink for plugins to the new 1.3.1 folder.

Well of course the MDK rpm's worked fine :-P they were made for a Mandrake system and set up the way Mandrake is set up-meaning Mandrake expects the files to be [here], so the rpm put them there. tar.gz's aren't system specific, so they don't put everything where Mandrake thinks it should be....hence the confusion. ;-)

it's me again. i'm at work, so i have no Mandrake in front of me to play with, but i now have a question as to the proper location of the Mozilla folder, if there is indeed a proper location. some of you are saying it should be installed to /usr/bin.......some said /usr/local/bin. when i installed Mandrake initially, Mozilla 1.3 was automatically installed to /usr/lib/mozilla(version). when the update RPM for Mozilla 1.3.1 came out, i ran that & it too installed to /usr/lib/mozilla(version). does it matter which directory Mozilla gets installed to? the install instructions at the Mozilla sight don't specify where you should make your Mozilla directory. if it helps, i have Mandrake installed on a 10 gig parttion on my hardrive & my Mandrake install goes like ./ (1.5 gig) ./swap (800 meg) ./usr (5 gig ) ./home (remaining space).......or something close to that.......the sizes may be a bit off 'cause i don't have it in front of me to check right now. gotta get back to work now. hope i'm making sense with these questions.

thanks again,

Chris