Which distros support version upgrade?

adamw, although you have the theory right (as expected ;) ), you're wrong: a broken system can happen after an unfinished upgrade.

This happened to me once because internet went down (not Linux' fault).

Now, I tend to do the upgrade in two steps:

# urpmi --auto-update --noclean --no-install --force

# urpmi --auto-select

Yves.

"and a second request for urpmi, try to continue with an upgrade in case of a failure, there is nothing worse than half an upgrade and urpmi quiting because of one package not being able to upgrade..."

this is not possible. urpmi already splits transactions into the smallest groups it can manage. once the groups are set, if any one package in a given group fails, urpmi cannot know if it is safe to install any of the other packages in that group, so it must skip every package in that group. all other groups will still be processed.

it must be a new feature then because upgrading from a fresh 2008.0 free install to cooker (a week or so before 2008.1 release, so effectively it was 2008.1), my upgrade failed because of the following bug:

https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=39408

urpmi did not want to continue with the rest of the upgrade.... the upgrade was quite easy to continue (by removing the 2 conflicting packages) but still the upgrade wouldn't continue otherwise....

Now, I tend to do the upgrade in two steps:

# urpmi --auto-update --noclean --no-install --force

# urpmi --auto-select

nice tip, i think i will add a new root alias tonight:

alias update='urpmi --auto-update --noclean --no-install --force && urpmi --auto-select'

or something like that. im lazy. :lol2:

ciao!

Depends at which stage the failure is found. Problems which are detected prior to the install process actually beginning - problematic conflicts and the like - you will need to resolve beforehand. Problems that show up at the "Preparing..." stage are handled as I described above.