Couple of questions about flux

liquidzoo

I installed flux again yesterday, and almost got everything working the way I want. Just have a couple of questions.

In my ~/.xinitrc file, I have a line to set the background when I log in. That works just fine, but when the flux desktop loads, it seems like it overwrites my background and I am left with a pale grey color background. If I run the command again, problem solved.

How do I prevent this from happening? I want it to just work and not overwrite the background. If I have to customize the theme, I will do so.

Second question:

Can anyone recommend a good icon bar that is both compatible with flux and that will launch programs with more than one word launch commands (like a game running through Wine)? I tried adesklets, but it won't work properly.

Also, do things like thunar (XFCE file browser) not work when you call them outside of XFCE? Perhaps the actual command is different, though I can't imagine that it would be.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Wow, I'm way off my game lately...3 for 3 in posts moved by spiny!

Edited by liquidzoo

I installed flux again yesterday, and almost got everything working the way I want. Just have a couple of questions.

In my ~/.xinitrc file, I have a line to set the background when I log in. That works just fine, but when the flux desktop loads, it seems like it overwrites my background and I am left with a pale grey color background. If I run the command again, problem solved.

How do I prevent this from happening? I want it to just work and not overwrite the background. If I have to customize the theme, I will do so.

Which .rc files does fluxbox use? I'd try to use something like xsetroot. See info e.g. here:

http://www.megawebhost.com/cgi-bin/man2htm...and=xsetroot(1)

fluxbox will use the .xinitrc file if you start it from the command line. I did figure out that the background was being set in the theme, which was being applied after the fbsetbg command was run.

If I could find the icon bar that did what I wanted I would be all set and use flux again as my main WM. As it stands, however, I went back to XFCE for now (while trying to fix KDE or find what I'm looking for).

Maybe xcompmgr + awn would do it, but I'm not sure. I will play around when I get the time and see what I can find.

Thunar will work fine under Fluxbox (it will only lose its defult iconset for that session) as long as the FAM daemon is running.

Same applies for PCManFM, another filemanager to consider. The latter will manage removable media AND Fluxbox desktop icons, if you happen to need them.