Opera 9.5

KenJackson

Mmmmh... might be off-topi, but what's so great about Opera? I installed it and haven't seen anything interesting in the package. Page rendering is not significantly faster or slower than on any other browser I use, startup-time is not a great deal better... so... what's the deal about the Opera hype? :unsure:

No, this is not a flame post. I appreciate any answers that will enlighten me.

Here are some of the reasons I prefer Opera.

1. It's fast

2. Continue from where you left off after a browser crash

3. It's easy to edit site preferences

4. It's beautiful in full screen mode

5. Speed dial

6. Good transfer/download manager

7. It can be configured and configured and configured again until you physically throw up :)

Those are just a few reasons why I prefer Opera.

Yes, there are many configuration options. In addition to what {BBI}Nexus{BBI} stated above...

* One of my favorite features is "Fit to Width". Click on that button and a forum thread that is too wide because of an excessively long pasted url or large image automagically shrinks to fit. B)

* I also like that you can type g, a search term, then hit enter and you have google search completed. I also type g, paste a search string from the clipboard and hit enter to initiate a search.

* Zooming images is fast and works great.

* Opera is also one of the most secure browsers available.

* Opera includes a mail client.

..., but what's so great about Opera?

Years ago, back when I was using Windows, I bought a copy of Opera and was absolutely amazed at the speed. I was shocked! It was very refreshing.

I've used it off and on as both Firefox and hardware have gotten better and better, and it may no longer have an advantage. But it still holds interest because of what a difference it made back then.

Besides, I like to have choices. I want to be able to run a variety of Linux distros, a couple of BSDs, and even Windows sometimes. And I want more than one browser.

No, this is not a flame post. I appreciate any answers that will enlighten me.

Hmmm! You're probably innocent, but it did kind of sound like flame bait. :P

Edited by KenJackson

I also like that you can type g, a search term, then hit enter and you have google search completed.

I just learned that you can configure Firefox to do this too. Go to Google (or any search site) and right click on the search box. The context menu will include an option labeled Add a keyword for this search..., click it. Choose g for the keyword.

There you have it! Now from any page anywhere, you can hit CTRL-L to get to the URL bar and type g searchword to search Google.

1. It's fast - Same is Mozilla 3.0 and Epiphany.

2. Continue from where you left off after a browser crash - Same as Mozilla and Epiphany.

3. It's easy to edit site preferences - just as with any other browser...

4. It's beautiful in full screen mode - a no factor imho

5. Speed dial - what's that?

6. Good transfer/download manager - haven't seen a bad transfer/download manager on any browser (except perhaps dillo and links)

7. It can be configured and configured and configured again until you physically throw up - errm... I want to browse, not to spend my day configuring things. :P

8. One of my favorite features is "Fit to Width". Click on that button and a forum thread that is too wide because of an excessively long pasted url or large image automagically shrinks to fit. - never had such problems with my browsers... maybe simply because I use a widescreen monitor. :unsure:

9. I also like that you can type g, a search term, then hit enter and you have google search completed. I also type g, paste a search string from the clipboard and hit enter to initiate a search. - errm ... it is nothing new.

10. Zooming images is fast and works great. - Don't see any difference to other browsers again.

11. Opera is also one of the most secure browsers available. - Good point.

12. Opera includes a mail client. - not of any importance for me, I use a separate mail client.

I guess - as with most things - it's simply a thing of personal taste. :rolleyes:

I just learned that you can configure Firefox to do this too.
You have been able to (at least manually) for quite some time. See this thread for some more suggestions. Similarly Ctrl-L goes to the location bar in Firefox too.

I agree with arctic, I think most of the points mentioned here are either also true for the competitors or not really selling points for me.

I think the major advantages which people raise are greater speed, smaller memory usage, and mouse gestures. The most often-mentioned disadvantage is the closed-sourceness. Firefox has vastly more plugins available than Opera but has vastly more rubbish plugins too.

5. Speed dial - what's that?

6. Good transfer/download manager - haven't seen a bad transfer/download manager on any browser (except perhaps dillo and links)

Here is what speed dial is about. It's just like speed dial on a cell phone.

http://cybernetnews.com/2007/03/02/opera-r...aturei-like-it/

The download manager can resume stalled downloads without restarting from the beginning. If this is standard fair nowdays, I was unaware of it.

I forgot to mention another feature I really like. There is a search box on the toolbar that searches the webpage you are on with any text you type into the search box. Search begins as you start typing, so usually you do not need to type in a complete word, term, or phrase.

Edited by David Batson

Firefox has vastly more plugins available than Opera but has vastly more rubbish plugins too.

Odd comment seeing as Opera doesnt actually have extensions (assuming you mean extensions like firefox, rather than plugins like flash/java).

To be honest, it's generally not worth trying to persuade people to use a piece of software, particularly when they take the attitude that's been shown here. Evangelism usually pisses people off (See: Mac Users) or just results in posts like Arctic's. If people would rather write a long post rebutting and misunderstanding the features someone's advertised, then chances are they wouldn't have given the application a fair test run anyway - they're comfortable with what they have and don't want to consider moving.

In the end, it's just a matter of briefly mentioning it to people and letting them find their own time to try it and investigate, rather than pushing it and trying to do the investigation for them.

I forgot to mention another feature I really like. There is a search box on the toolbar that searches the webpage you are on with any text you type into the search box. Search begins as you start typing, so usually you do not need to type in a complete word, term, or phrase.

Firefox also has this. You start typing, and the quick search opens at the bottom of the page. You can enable or disable it. I think it's disabled by default, but it's as simple as going into Options/Preferences/Advanced/General and then enabling it.

To be honest, it's generally not worth trying to persuade people to use a piece of software...
Artic requested enlightenment. No one has recommended one browser over another. Only features and options are being compared/discussed.