realplayer - shorewall

Gowator

Hey,

look at the time you try to connect and then look in your syslog-log....

If shorewall blocks it there should be a message describing the block at that time...(depending on your info-level)wait a minute or so, so it's easy to track tghe message down...

DPT=destinationport,...if I'm not mistaken....

since you have a small network, I suppose you have to allow traffic from your lan to the internet...and not from your lan to the firewall and then from your firewall to teh internet..or am I wrong...????Can be ofcourse, but anyway check your log, there you'll find an answer.

You can always print the error message here if you don't understand what's going on, together withg your config files....the most important ones anyway...

Yeah,

The problem is (or was) I don't have a dedicated firewall.

I have a couple of PC's in one room. My main server and a test machine. In the other room I have my entertainment PC (a shuttle) and usually my laptop.

All my other machines are currently mothballed for one reason or another.

My main 'server' is also the firewall/router for the Lan->net so I need lan-fw access and also fw-net access.

I know I should make a dedicted machine, I just need to sort out all the bits of machines I have spare.

Has anyone tried running shorewall on a 'small' machine. I have a P100 spare (and actually some memory for it) and its a small mini-pc type case.