New version installation

lambofgod

Hi!

I got to know that the latest version of Mandriva can be downloaded, i had a big problem the last time i tried installing the OS on my system and i am petrified to think of having to run into the same thing again. I managed to reload some motherboard drivers and install the OS. I do want to run the newer version on my system so can anyone help me out and thrown some light on how i could go about it. I want to install the new version ( 64 bit ) but i am not too sure as to how to go about it. Since i had a CD the last time things went on fine.

Thank you

To save time and effort, buy the release version of your choice on CD's or DVD. I received very satisfactory service from LinuxCDs.org. There are other companies that can provide install discs. The cost is minimal.

Once you have installed the basic OS, you can download additional packages from the repositories. I save all my downloaded packages on CD, just in case I might need them in the future. If you download and install packages using URPMI, they will be installed, but not saved, under normal circumstances. You will need to use WGET, or something similar, to save additional packages to hard disk.

Please take a look here.

For a KDE desktop: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desk...2008-spring-kde

For a Gnome desktop: http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desk...08-spring-gnome

It is as detailed as it can get. If you still have problems, please explain in detail where you are experiencing problems.

Skyhawk,

I think that you have just given the #1 suggestion that I think EVERYONE out to here.

That of downloading your RPM's before installing them, so that you have a copy in case you need them.

I tried to setup a 3rd PC over the weekend, and for some reason kept running into situatrions where the DEPS that I wanted to use werent working.

Luckily I had the RPM's saved from my #2 install and was able to copy them ruight over and start running once again!..

J

To save time and effort, buy the release version of your choice on CD's or DVD. I received very satisfactory service from LinuxCDs.org. There are other companies that can provide install discs. The cost is minimal.

Once you have installed the basic OS, you can download additional packages from the repositories. I save all my downloaded packages on CD, just in case I might need them in the future. If you download and install packages using URPMI, they will be installed, but not saved, under normal circumstances. You will need to use WGET, or something similar, to save additional packages to hard disk.

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. I am from India and we don't get to buy Mandriva Cds in India. So i was looking for an alternative. If i could download them someplace. Thanks.