USB Digital Camera - how to access in MDK 9.1

chris:b

Hey anna, that actually looks promising ...

Whats you lsmod look like now compared to the last one ..??

aRtee: There a guy on another thread with a 'similar' problem with a modem - Im at work so I still havn't checked out mknod ... do you think it might work.... (the thread is why sdo I bother...)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lsmod - difference, that the line with usb-storage looks now:

usb-storage            72952   2

And I discovered after plugging in the camera I am getting additional dirs/files:

/proc/scsi/usb-storage-1/2

/proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1

and also some entries in /proc/bus/usb/001 and /002 etc.

-- anna, not yet giving up (I emailed the vendor to get the information, if they use the 'standard' usb mass storage ...)[/code]

If the usb mass storage is standard then you shouldn't need windows drivers. That doesn't mean it won't come with them but it should work without them albeit you can't remotely control your camera ...

If you know anyone with a card reader you could try that. If it works then you know the camera is the problem not your config....

Gowatar??

Update on my USB - thing. I don't know a person with a card reader, BUT a certain person with a usb scanner - hp scajet 3400C - living in the next room with a win 98 box :twisted:

Grabbed it, connected it, restart the pc - and tadaaaah - xsane icon appears, made my first scan. OK now I know that the usb ports and hub is working. And isn't Mandrake nice?

I get the feeling that the camera isn't ready for Linux. And that my pc, mandrake and the config is just doing fine.

So I will have a nice communication with the Jenoptik folks in Germany -

Thanks everyone so far for helping me!!!

Hopefully lots of people from work will be visiting this site and I thought it prudent to change my name :-)

The scanner check definately proves your USB stuff is working ...

You (might) still have an issue with the USB storage though but your camera may be equally guilty.

For the scanner, How about hotplugging it. Can you recognise it without restarting.

Make sure you explain to your boyfriend properly, can't have him knocking Linux :twisted: Point out that the scanner can now be used by any connected Linux PC over a network .... not the same in 98....

edits:

Oh i forgot. I have a PC to upgrade 9.0-9.1 (well Ill reinstall).

I'll do it without any USB mass storge attached and see what happens when i plug one in. Im not sure when Ill get round to doing it though ...

Hay Lord_ ehhh .... Gowator....

Anna, it may be that the usb-storage is not properly implemented in your camera. This happens sometimes, check google groups for that.

In that case, it's really the cam that's the problem -- too bad.

Let us know how this ends, ok?

update on my camera.

After the second email I got a reaction from Jenoptik:

Hallo,

leider können Sie die Kamera nicht unter Linux betreiben, sie wird nur von Windows Systemen unterstützt.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best regards

[name deleted ...]

Technical Support

JENIMAGE Europe GmbH

Carl - Zeiss - Platz 12

07743 Jena

phone: +49 (3641) 6761-87

fax:  +49 (3641) 6761-82

mailto:    JIE@jenimage.com

web-site:http://www.jenimage.com

Translation: Unfortunately you can't use the camera with Linux, it's only supported by Windows.

I asked about suggestions, workarounds, known issues, other users, standard mass storage protocol ...

Geez, they don't even take the time to give a hint with a card reader. What a custom service.

My translation (not german-english, english-what they really meant): Linux? BAH! we laugh at Linux! Microsoft have much money, give us lots of it, we no support your Linux! j/k ;-)

What kind of memory card does the camera use? (i assume it has one)

compact flash, SD, etc.?

lol tyme, your translation fits more.

Thanks for asking about the card, but I have no problem using the camera, dual-booting, and would not have a problem with a card reader (its a CF card), but I wanted a reaction from this 'famous' manufacturer of ZEISS lenses, and let them know that they will loose in the (German and European) market if they are not prepared for the millions Linux users the next years.

Hmmm, maybe I should put an 'avoid this manufacturers hardware' page on my website... ;)

If all linux sites do so, and all users advice anyone that 'if some day, you want to get away from windows, and really, you want to keep your options open' so don't buy that unsupported crap! maybe it would change their minds.

Remember, they have a bottomline, and it's all about money.

Touch them there and they will have to change.

Anyway, note to self, don't buy the Jenoptik JD 2100 z3s (aka 'Traveler', aka 'Skanhex'), and tell anyone else to avoid that stuff... :D

Hmmm, maybe I should put an 'avoid this manufacturers hardware' page on my website... ;)

Anyway, note to self, don't buy the  Jenoptik JD 2100 z3s (aka 'Traveler', aka 'Skanhex'), and tell anyone else to avoid that stuff... :D

... psss, and don't tell that this camera comes with 3x opt. zoom, and incl. everything you need, 149 Euro, and hobbiest like me are making the nicest photos - that's the reason why I don't give it back, sigh.

Well, guess it all depends on where your priorities lie; personally, linux support comes first. Without that I would have to reinstall windows and that's out of the question...

BTW for 150 euro's there are nice 3x camera's that claim no driver install in windows, and if true, they must / should work with the usb-storage thingy under linux..