Installing and using mandriva on Compact Flash

nokheat

I am planning to install Mandriva and use it as a server. It is a AMD 3000 dual core with 1 gb of DDR memory. It will run all the LAMP packages, various programming environment and runs samba and webdav so it will be a all purpose server for all the family programming and file storage need. I believe it would not be high loading, so i will keep the windows managers (KDE) I plan to buy a 8 GB drive to run the Mandriva 2008.1 Spring, would it be a good idea?

i am also worried on the serive life of my CF module.

any more measures i can take for this deployment?

will moving swap to a real hardisk helps too ?

how this idea sounds? do i need to take extra care in choosing the software package?

Edited by nokheat

• 4 weeks later...

youknow I'm going to perform a similar experiment, but I've had a lot of folks "go before me" in my situation.

I'm going to install a small c in my car, a REALLY big MP3 player is what it will end up being, but with such "long (relatively speaking) boot times from a HD" hard drives arent real practical.

most folks who boot car pc's use a CF as their OS drive and then a HUGE HD as their data drive.

Mine should be done end of August.

The one thing you want to do, is make sure you get a QUALITY CF card.

A generic might not be your best bet.

J

PS if that works I may actually use one as the boot drive on a desktop. can you IMAGINE the boot speed on quad core pc with 4GB of ram!!!!