install stuck on bootloader

fminmexico

Hello fminmexico.

In the part .............mkinitrd-v-f/boot/initrd-2.6.24-desktop-1mnb.img--ifneeded2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb)

you will notice that 2.6.24-desktop-1mnb and 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb are not the same.

I could be wrong but I suspect that during the install process you made incorrect settings in Grub. You could wait for someone with greater skills than I to help you out (this is a weekend of course so could be a long wait.)

I suggest doing a dummy upgrade and and let it setup up grub without your intervention. Would only take about 20 minutes or less and you would be happily on your way. Just on the small chance that doesn't work then a Fresh Clean Install would only take another 30 minutes or so. :D

Sure you want to learn how to do things in Linux but you can gain that knowledge over time but first you need a working system.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I suggest trying to install again. mkinitrd failed is because it's trying to generate an initrd for the kernel that is attempting to be installed. If there is not initrd your system wouldn't boot anyway, as it is using this to automatically load modules that haven't been compiled into the kernel at boot-time. This allows a smaller kernel footprint, but also means the kernel is slower, because it has to modprobe modules to get them loaded in terms of gaining access to your hard disk.

Theoretically, you could manually fix this from the CLI, but it wouldn't be something I recommend for someone new to Linux - there is no GUI tool to do this. Try another install, and see how you get on. Try to keep things simple, and not change too much in terms of config, just select the packages and off you go.