RH9/gnome 2.3.3 -apt/synaptic and NyQuist/DAG rpms

Got it. The trick seems to be that after synaptic finishes the install to

killall gnome-panel

killall nautilus

This causes them to restart with the new versions. Then I saved the session and all is well. Great so far actually....much snappier :D

so you were smart and did it from init 3 instead of from a running gnome session? I thought of that which is why on the first attempt I only installed kde on the clean install, but it didn't work, because there was some other gnome stuff needed. I'll do it from init 3 from now on...thanks!

Nope, I did it inside of Gnome. I just didn't have any lockups I guess. I don't use synaptic to much, it locks up frequently in my experience, so most of the time I just use the apt commands.

One thing I noticed is I can't log into KDE. Do you have that option anymore in your GDM session?

When I did the clean install with kde only and installed 2.3.3 it did take kde out of the gdm login and it also renamed them with some stupid name with a '.' in it., but since kde was already the default I could still login to it but I had gnome and kde icons since the new gnome desktop folder is 'Desktop' just like kde. Like I said in my email to you, "that's gonna be a mess" that I'm not looking forward to, unless kde and gnome get together and straighten it out. They have to if you think about it....how?....I have no idea. It shall be interesting though.

Whahooo!!!....told you I couldn't wait. I got an Abit KD7 MoBo with the Via KT400 chipset, Athlon XP1900+, and 256 DDR....Ahhhhh....speed is a wonderful thing. I know it ain't the best, but from a 600 Celeron, i810 chipset, and 192SDRAM I'm flyin high again :D So how the kernel do? should I bother? :wink:

That's sound awesome man, quite a bit difference from the cellery isn't there?

I only played with it once, didn't get the graphics going and then I found this the other day.

http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/

I've been trying to get my Nvidia graphis to take but haven't succeded yet.

If you want to play with the 2.5, you will need the following from RawHide:

modutils and mkinitrd RPMs.

There was somthing else I needed, but can't remember what it was.

Currently though I'm playing with SuSE8.2

Yep, I'm lovin' it! I'm not use to so many bios options. There doesn't seem to be 1 NoPNPOS settitng, but it seems you have to set all the options individually to BIOS. Does that sound right? It's Phoenix Award.

What error/s are you getting with nvidia? Are you rebuilding? A gcc compiler error? If so,

export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true

will get you through it.

....and yes, I just might play with the 2.5 and see how it's comming along. I tried it 8-12 mths ago when it was rather young and it was too unstable.

I was thinking of giving ML9.1 another shot but I can't even get the mouse going :shock: It's this usb2 crap, which BTW rh9 doesn't have a prob with I guess because it's not in the kernel. I disabled usb2 in the bios and still can't get the Logitech Mouseman Optical Cordless USB mouse to work in ML9.1. So I'm hesitant to even try the install just to have to compile usb2 out of the kernel, if that is what is necessary and would even work. AARRGGGHHH!!!!! I feel like I'm starting over......AGAIN! :twisted:

Get this......the via82cxxx_audio/AC97 works in the default rh9 gnome2.2 but hangs everything in my unstable rh9 with gnome2.3.3. I haven't looked too much into this yet as far as module.conf entries etc....

Oh, one more question :wink:

cat /proc/cpuinfo shows my 1900+ cpu to be at 1600 even though I have it at 1900 in the bios, and /var/log/messages shows the same. Do you know how to tell the kernel to use it at 1900? Thanks!

[root@localhost /home]# cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0

vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD

cpu family      : 6

model           : 6

model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+

stepping        : 2

cpu MHz         : 1600.730

cache size      : 256 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug         : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu             : yes

fpu_exception   : yes

cpuid level     : 1

wp              : yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow

bogomips        : 3191.60

var /log/messages

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Initializing CPU#0

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Detected 1600.730 MHz processor.

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Console: colour dummy device 80x25

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost keytable: Loading keymap: 

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Calibrating delay loop... 3191.60 BogoMIPS

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Memory: 252940k/262080k available (1347k kernel code, 6708k reserved, 999k data, 132k init, 0k highmem)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Inode cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Mount cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Buffer-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Page-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: CPU: L1 I Cache: 64K (64 bytes/line), D cache 64K (64 bytes/line)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: CPU: L2 Cache: 256K (64 bytes/line)

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Intel machine check architecture supported.

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Intel machine check reporting enabled on CPU#0.

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1900+ stepping 02

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.

Jul  6 10:20:12 localhost kernel: Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.