root@localhost [solved]

ilia_kr

I remember I've seen a similar topic here but sadly I couldn't find it.

So, how can I change "localhost" at terminal (in Gnome) to something else? In Mandriva 2007.1 I could do it in MCC network configuration but I can't find it in 2008.1.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's in the network configuration wizard (when you're setting it up step-by-step as if it were a new connection). Right after selecting DHCP (or entering manual IP address, if you choose that) there's a screen with a box marked "assign hostname from DHCP", or something like that. Make sure you leave it unchecked, and then enter the hostname you want in the text box below.

Or you can edit /etc/sysconfig/network manually and enter it in here, then restart networking or reboot. Alternatively, don't restart networking, and just type:

hostname myhostname.domain.com

to set it but of course for system to remember, it has to be modified in /etc/sysconfig/network.

I prefer Adams suggestion. Far simpler, more fool proof and does not require using cli to edit text files.

While cli users are quite at home with cli, the vast majority of us are not and never will be so I think that gui methods should be the first suggested solutions and then cli as a back up response if the Gui method does not solve the problem. No wonder so many newbies think that Mandriva and Linux usage is cli driven when first suggested solutions offered are cli.

Cheers. John.

I prefer Adams suggestion. Far simpler, more fool proof and does not require using cli to edit text files.

Ilia is not a newbie though, so I'm sure he can handle the config files from the cli ;)

And for me, re-running the whole network wizard just to change a hostname is stupid. For what? I have to reconfigure every single network option because another GUI option cannot be made to change just the hostname?!? Crap wizard if you ask me. If I didn't know the GUI, I can make the suggestion knowing that it solved the users problem. So why suggest a GUI option if they can't find it or don't know how to do it, then I have to suggest the CLI later on. Why waste my time typing something twice?!?

Oh, yeah - you could probably change it by installing webmin, which you can use in the GUI and probably change some options without having to reconfigure the whole network.

Sticking with a gui you don't learn anything. Move to another distro, and then try to change your hostname when you can't find the wizard to do it? CLI has it's advantages because it means you can do things from one distro to the other when you find that you don't have access to GUI wizards. But then, if you only use Mandriva, then I suppose you can always stick with the GUI!

Whilst your point is valid, you shouldn't slam people for suggesting the CLI to fix something. As you see from my post, it was an alternative suggestion to the initial solution to the problem. If you don't like CLI John, you don't have to use it. I'll remember not to ask you to use the CLI to solve a problem though.

Chill out, guys. I've done it, thanks. And yes, i don't afraid of CLI, yet GUI is fine too.

By the way, who changed the caption of the post to "solved"? I said "thanks" because I understood what Ian and Adam said, not because tried it and it worked! Actually, I fixed the issue only after this post ! :)

I actually changed it, had interpreted "thanks" as being that it was solved. Even if not, the solutions would have solved your problem anyhow, even if I pre-empted it :)

Maybe that is bad of me though modding on assumption.

I wasn't slamming anyone least of all you Ian. I have never never criticized anyone for using cli and never would. I am fully aware that the cli is important in a number of situations and always will be.

If you feel offended then I am sorry for you but not for the comments I made which are based on observation. Is it a bit of the cap fitting ???.

I trust not and hope not. From your posturing in your post it could be easy for me to take offense but I don't because I don't believe your comments could be applied to me. I still believe that this is still basically a site for Mandriva users (newer or longer term) where we Mandriva users can help oneanother of whatever Linux ability by offering the simplest methods to solutions first, not necessarily the quickest ( if seconds longer are a problem then I can't help anyone there)

Remember that although you may know that ilia is okay with cli solutions, the solutions offered here are for the benefit of others too who may experience the same or similar problems.

Your comment about .... "If you don't like CLI John, you don't have to use it. I'll remember not to ask you to use the CLI to solve a problem though"......

is so petulant and unlike you that for a moment I thought it might have been written by someone else.

I use the cli a little for those things that could not be done via a gui so I am not afraid to use it. However when I offer a possible solution to some seeking help then I always offer the gui method first because I make NO presumptions of capability about the person seeking help. A couple of clicks through MCC is time consuming ???. :lol2:

You wanted to learn the ins and outs of Linux and you have a list of certificates now to prove it so good for you. Myself and most others just want our Mandriva to work and when it breaks we want the simplest means to make it work again. That is all we want. We learn things along the way but we do not necessarily want to have to learn the cli for everything nor have it suggested that the gui is a waste of precious time (seconds), hindrance or mostly useless.

John.

The gui method had been offered by adamw. I offered the CLI as well - as an alternative. People who read it, be it regular members or newbies will then see the options they have and can then choose which suits their requirements. At the same time, because of the alternatives and explanation they can learn more about Linux at the same time.

The combination of the two can help them learn more and feel comfortable with Linux, as well as the CLI - because, let's face it, they will have to use the CLI at one point in time or another.

When I first installed Linux, I didn't want to use or even touch the CLI - therefore I advocate it when I can and where I can because there is no need to be afraid of it. I see too many posts slamming the CLI and it upsets and annoys me - because otherwise, people will always be like I was - not wanting to use the CLI because of the unknown. It's trying to keep Linux like Windows, without the choice, with being locked in to using and doing something a particular way instead of with or without choice.

My certifications don't actually refer to Linux. I'm not certified in Linux.....yet ;). That's my choice though until I find that I want to be or need to be for a particular reason. I'm in no rush to do such a thing. I would say I know Linux relatively well, and I will help anyone and I will give all the information they need to do that - including alternatives.