Opera 9.50 final

Gayle

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. For your information, iphitus, bug reports were filed, THREE of them to be exact.

No responses were received from anyone whatsoever at Opera. Therefore, they lost a dedicated user, as up to that point, I had been a user of Opera since version 5 (under Windows).

Then I take back what I said about being a developers enemy. Chances are they received them, but given you would have been a paying customer back then you definitely did deserve a response and have every right to leave them because of that. You nagged them too "3 reports" which is great, as some devs need a bit of nagging. So yeah, you did your best, kudos for reporting.

That said... time changes things, so if it's still an issue, it might be worth reporting one more time.

Sorry about the tone, I get sick of people complaining "i tried this a year ago and it didnt work thus it sucks" yet they made no attempt to have the issue solved. More often than not, developers (open source particularly) will happily follow an issue up to a resolution if reported by the appropriate channels. It's not fair on the developer, and it gives other people the wrong impression about what could be a brilliant piece of software.

Dexter: Google adblocking hosts file, it's a browser independent adblock method. Keep googling opera and adblock too, I'm fairly sure there's an opera specific method too. Opera's in an odd position. They can't include adblocking software as they'll get sued, and they don't have extension support, so it cant be written by others.

Cheers!

James

Since there are some long time Opera users here I ask it in this topic: are there any good adblocking software for Opera? Also is there any way for spell checking?

ad blocking has been build into opera for a long time (right click -> block content) there are also some premade blocking lists available. There are no inline spelling checkers but aspell can be used to check spelling...

I don't feel that it is proper or ethical to copy and paste something, someone (who may or may not be the same person) posted on a completely different forum.

It's posted in public, therefore it's not private. He could have easily have just linked that particular post here.

I don't feel that it is proper or ethical to copy and paste something, someone (who may or may not be the same person) posted on a completely different forum.

I was going to let this post go without comment. However, since Ian has already defended me (thanks, Ian), I will explain my point of view.

First of all, you are the same person that posted both post, and if necessary I can prove that. More importantly: I act and talk the same way in real life as I do on the internet, and I suppose that I expect others to do the same. If in real life you went to my neighbors house and told them something about 'John Doe', then you went to another neighbors house and told them something totally different about 'John Doe', you would then find me telling you face to face what I thought of you.

I'm very sorry that you did not want to simply answer my question as to why you posted such different remarks in two forums about the same issue. We have members here from both forums, and it is public domain.

I sincerely hope that you will continue to be an active member here.

I'm sorry this is off topic.

Greg

Then I take back what I said about being a developers enemy.

I see this as an apology and it's accepted. :)

I gave Opera one more try and the footers still do not print. If the font size is large enough, it will print the first row or two of dots of the footer but nothing beyond that, but if the size is reduced - nothing footer-related will print. It can't be hardware-related since this happened with two different brands of printers. There must be a margin setting in one of the Opera files that causes the printing to stop x number of cm/inches from the bottom of the paper. If that file and setting were accessible and if it were possible to reduce that setting, then the footers might print.

It's just that I wasted so much time (and paper!) to get the footers to print, that I decided to simply give up on it.

I'm very sorry that you did not want to simply answer my question as to why you posted such different remarks in two forums about the same issue. We have members here from both forums, and it is public domain.

I sincerely hope that you will continue to be an active member here.

I tried to convey the same message and anticipate continuing to participate here.

<back on topic>

The issue (footers not printing) should be easy to fix. As I said, three bug reports were filed, Opera chose not to respond or request additional information, so what was I to do. The lack of any response from them, obviously did not look good. Perhaps their bug reporting policies ought be more open, like Mozilla and Mandriva.

Please don't get me wrong, it's a great browser and I used it for many years starting with Windows, but there has to be a reason why the footers aren't printing... The SeaMonkey and Firefox footers print slightly higher up on the page compared to where the Opera footers would print (when I see dots), so something in Opera needs to be changed. The margin and scaling settings in the Print dialog aren't it.

Your not on your own when it comes to bug reports and the lack of replies to them. The only bug reports I've logged and had a very good response with are ones I logged that related to Fedora/Red Hat. I got more response from them in relation to a kernel/module issue than if I logged it directly with kernel.org!

That said, both were better than when I logged bugs with Mandriva - they weren't even acknowledged until adamw stepped in and helped kick their asses into fixing bugs - but this was being done as a whole for Mandriva, not because anyone in particular complained. Don't know what it's like now though, as I've not logged any bugs, but hoping it's getting better all the time.

I've reported several bugs to Mandriva and I've been very pleased with their response to them. Some are still open (pending resolution) while others were resolved/fixed.

One or two, I brought to Adam's attention afterwards, he followed up on them. :)

Edited by edwardp

I've reported several bugs to Mandriva and I've been very pleased with their response to them. Some are still open (pending resolution) while others were resolved/fixed.

One or two, I brought to Adam's attention afterwards, he followed up on them. :)

Shouldn't have to need to bring it to Adam's attention to get it fixed.

Last bug I filed was there for over 9 months (IIRC) without resolution despite needing only a trivial fix, it was a regression, and it made it impossible for anyone with this hardware to install Mandriva.

somehow i've been lucky. most bugs i've come across were usually already reported (and I'd just add my experience to validate) or were reported and fixed.

though I did find one in opera 9.5 tonight that I need to check on:

I tried to open the Java Console (two times, once on a site, once on just the "speed dial" page) and it beach-balled (for over an hour the first time).

Back to the new release

I have been using opera 9.5 beta and am trying to upgrade to the final 9.5

I down loaded the mandriva version from Opera.com

clicked open with software installer,

I then click install

enter my password

I then get a box telling me that some requested packages can't be installed:

opera-9.50-2042.gcc4.shared.qt3.i386, (in order to keep opera-9.50-20080422.6.i386)

continue anyway?

whether I click abort or ok, nothing happens and I still have my beta version of opera.

Help

Thanks Nic.

I'm using KDE 4.04

Just a guess, but maybe the mirror it is trying to get the dependancy from is offline. Try going to the mirror directly. In other words test the mirror you have set up for your repositories. I know the "coffee" mirror was offline for several days and may still be offline. I think some of the other mirrors might be offline temporarily as well.