Nvidia 750a ethernet

Guest Boletus

Guest Boletus

Hello,

I have an Asus motherboard version M3N-HD/HDMI that uses the fairly new Nvidia 750a chipset with onboard ethernet. Mandriva 2008 Spring installed fine and is up and running, but it cannot recognize my ethernet adapter. According to the motherboard manual, adapter is called an "Atheros F1 Phy Gigabit Lan Controller". Mandriva 2008 (regular) had the same problem. I am using the free, DVD version. So I cannot connect to the internet while in Mandriva to download Mandriva updates, although the ethernet adapter works under Windows, so hardware-wise it is OK. Is there a way for me to get this ethernet controller to work in Mandriva, or will I have to wait for the next version?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Boletus

Googling on this makes me think you need the nForce drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.23.html

Seems to show that the forcedeth module is in the kernel that could help you with this. First of all, from a console in Linux, type:

su (enter password when prompted)
lsmod | grep -i force

see if the module is loaded? If it is, try an:

ifconfig -a

and see if an ethx device exists (x being the number, like eth0, eth1, etc)

If not, then I think you're bang out of luck with Mandriva until a newer version arrives. Mandriva have a hardware compatibility list:

http://www.mandriva.com/hardware

however, I didn't find anything for your card. Based on the first link, I'd have a go with Fedora 8 or even Fedora 9 as it's available now and see if it works with this. Then you'll know for sure if you have support for it. Suggest you download the Fedora 9 Live DVD and burn this to DVD to check and test system. Or even check/test with Ubuntu 8.04.

You can always just throw in a cheap nic until drivers arrive in the kernel for your onboard nic. I suspect your hardware is too new to expect linux drivers at this point, particularly since this is the first time I've heard of that Atheros lan controller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those 750a chipset motherboards only came out about 4 or 5 months ago.

Edited by pmpatrick