need advice on a programming language

Ok, I'm a C++ kinda guy. Keep that in mind ;-)

Here's what I want: I want to find a programming language that does GUI and isn't dependant on a DE specific toolkit (GTK and QT are not what I'm looking for). Preferrably object-oriented, as I'm a C++ lover (sick, isn't it?). NOT java...too bloated for my tastes. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd tell you what I'm looking to do, but it's a secret until I get a beta going ;-)

So, any suggestions?

but I don't want to have to use a toolkit  :cry: 

ok...if I don't get any other suggestions, guess I'll just stick with C++

A toolkit is just a library of functions (sometimes with an underlying architecture to make the pieces work together). So what you're looking for is a language with the "toolkit" built in? I don't know anything like that off hand. I suppose as a lowest common denominator you could use the X window functions directly or the svgalib library. What is the problem with using a toolkit anyway?

Glitz.

Glitz: it's that I want this program to work whether the person is using KDE or GNOME, in the sense that the other isn't needed....

I.E. I'd like for it to look the same under both. Someone mentioned something somewhere....I thought....*hunts around the forums*

kylix...is that a toolkit? hmm...no...bah. nevermind, forget this question ever existed. guess I'll take a look at glade since gnome/gtk is my DE/toolkit of choice.

Have you looked at kylix 3 open (available free from borland's page)? Nice, and pascal's really easy. All in all a lot like VB, but I don't hate it like I do VB because the code is easily recompiled in windows too! (using delphi from borland, only free from the kazaa gents) Ahh cross-platform, the doorway to helping others out...

Actually, I may have said C++, but I'd write it in Java.

I know you said no to Java (too bloated?!?) but that probably means that you've never written a full blown application in it.

I am a professional Java developer. No, Java apps wont outperform binary applications, but they can be as powerful, stable, and with the IDE's available for Java (Netbeans), just as easy to create, and will have the consistent look and feel you desire not only accross DE's but platforms.

Two reasons to consider writing in Java are:

1. The upcoming 1.5 release, and

2. The recent Sun/Red Hat discussions about open source java.

1.5 has some pretty significant language and performance improvements, but really, the idea that java may become open source means that the performance could become MUCH better. You see, Sun's JVM isn't really a production JVM. IBM has a production JVM geared toward J2EE, that is significantly faster than Sun's. Open source could open the doors to blazing JVMs specific to their intended application.

I am a Java evangelist. I can't help myself. I had to throw it out there as an option.

Consider it. If you choose to do it, I would happily help you get started. I love turning people on to Java.

Java has an installer similar to Install Shield. Never used it, but it does exist...

I know he doesn't want to use Java.... I just like to try to convert everyone.

But hey, if someone doesn't want to code in the most elegant, intuitive, innovative language of our time, I understand. Everyone has the choice to program in subpar lanugages...

I am just kidding!!!! LOL!

keep C++ and use fltk for your widgets the lib is tiny compared to QT or GTK.

www.fltk.org

oh and runs on linux/mac/windows.

But really you should take a good look around at whats availible have a play with a few different kits then decide what you like the most.