Slack9 - EE install - "Could not find the gnomeConf.sh

Guest SDMF

I'm trying to install Electric Eyes under Slack, and I get the following output when I run ./configure.

creating cache ./config.cache

checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes

checking for working aclocal... found

checking for working autoconf... found

checking for working automake... found

checking for working autoheader... found

checking for working makeinfo... found

checking for gnutar... no

checking for gtar... no

checking for tar... tar

checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no

checking for gnome-config... no

checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found

configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install

I don't appear to have gnome-config, and have no idea how to get it.

gnome-config and gnomeConf.sh are in the libgnome32-devel pkg, and gtar is part of the tar pkg. However, libgnome32-devel may be called something diff like

gnome32libs-devel

or

gnome32-libs-devel

or....who knows what on a non mandrake sys :wink: Hopefully a slacker will tell you if you can't find it.

I ran a search for libgnome32-devel and variations on that name, and could find nothing but mandrake RPMs. Do any other Slack users know where I can find the source for this package?

configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by gnome-libs install

It is telling you, you need to install gnome-libs.

mount your slack cdrom and run as root:

~# installpkg /mnt/cdrom/slackware/gnome/gnome-libs.version.tgz

or something similar, I don't have the cdrom here to check the right path.

on my 8.1 the package that contains gnomeconf.sh is gnome-libs. But I guess you are right and in 9.0 this might have changed.

This is my /usr/lib/gnomeConf.sh

#

# Configuration of the gnome-libs package

#

GNOME_LIBDIR="-L/usr/lib"

GNOME_INCLUDEDIR="-I/usr/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include"

GNOME_LIBS="-lgnome -lgnomesupport -L/usr/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm -L/usr/lib -laudiofile -lm -ldb1 -L/usr/lib -lglib "

GNOMEUI_LIBS="-lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -L/usr/lib -lgdk_imlib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lSM -lICE -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lgnome -lgnomesupport -L/usr/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm -L/usr/lib -laudiofile -lm -ldb1 -L/usr/lib -lglib "

GTKXMHTML_LIBS="-lgtkxmhtml -lXpm -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lz -lSM -lICE -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm"

need_gnome_support="yes"

but for what I've find out after a little google search you'll probably can pass the gnomeConf.sh problem by running config as follows:

~$ ./configure --with-gnome-libs=/opt/gnome/lib

or whatever path does have your gnome libraries

Wellcome to the Slackware user friendly distro! :twisted:

HTH

this has nothing to do with the userfriendliness of a distro and everything to do with the fact that the files you require for EE are a product of gnome 1.4.

further the reason you often don't find <somepackage>-devel in some distros is that they do not split off the headers and other files that are used for "development".

PS-this latter comment is not a stab at distros like mandrake or RH, just an observation.

The way I see it is if it's;

libgnome32-devel in ML9.1

gnome-libs in Slack

gnome-libs-devel-x.x.x-32 in RH9

it has a lot to do with the distro and very little to do with gnome. Re-pkged and diff dep names make it more and more distro specific. Personally I have always hated ML's libthis and libthat. :)

further the reason you often don't find <somepackage>-devel in some distros is that they do not split off the headers and other files that are used for "development".

Yeah that is what I figured, which is why I looked for variations, even left out the word "devel".

The gnome-libs package is not installed on my system, nor is it on the CD, nor is it on slackware's package site.

:evil:

I found a bunch of libgnome..... files in /usr/lib, and ran configure with the --with-gnome-libs=/usr/lib, and I still get the same error. It can't find gnome-config, and I searched my whole computer for it and it's not there.

I notice that there is a Slack 8.1 package for it, would it be a bad thing if I tried to compile it and install under 9.0? You know, not installing it with installpkg?

OK, I actually found the gnome-libs source, took me forever. I am getting some kind of compile error, in a file called gnome-metadata.c. Here is the error I am getting, if it helps any.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance of Gnome, I never cared for it much as a desktop environment, and never really learned a whole lot about how it and all its libraries work.