Need some help

Guest garrettwade09

Guest garrettwade09

So I finally decided to Install Linux and see what all the fuss of how good it is. Well first I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop dual booting Vista. Well I got tired of Ubuntu after awhile and decided to have Mandriva. Well I've been trying for over a week now to install Mandriva from a DVD but it won't let me. I don't care if I can't dual boot, just as long as I can install it. Can anyone help me? I've looked at the how to sections but for some reason when I turn on my computer to install at the beginning it just won't let me. Any ideas?

Guest garrettwade09
Welcome to the board! B)

Perhaps the DVD you burned is corrupt? I would try burning a new one.

What kind of error are you seeing when you try to install?

Well thank you! But see the DVD worked for my friend. He used it right before I tried using it. I didn't receive an error. All the posts say it should just start up at the beginning when you turn on your computer. So I tried that. Nothing happened. I have an Acer 3680 with two hard drives in it. One completely empty with 30 gb's free. When I turned on my computer I tried pressing F8 so I could see if it'll boot it up but it wouldn't let me.

Guest garrettwade09
Also have you checked the md5sum of the iso you downloaded?

Sorry, but I don't know what that is.. But if you don't mind, could you possibly explain and tell me what I should do?

I would say if your friend used it fine, then the md5sum will be OK. Please elaborate more on exactly what your problem is and what the error is? Without it, it would be impossible for us to diagnose and help you. Saying pressing F8 and it wouldn't let me, just isn't enough. Where exactly are you pressing F8 and why? Explain what you see on screen, what you chose, what then appeared next, etc.

Sorry, but I don't know what that is.. But if you don't mind, could you possibly explain and tell me what I should do?

I don't know if this will work with vista but try this: download DigestIt. Then right click the iso file and choose digestit>calculate md5sum. Compare the string you get with the string in the corresponding .iso.md5 file here. I am assuming you are trying to install 2008.1 aka spring. If you are trying to install 2008.0 then in the link above change 2008.1 to 2008.0. You can open the .iso.md5 file with notepad.

without knowing what error he is receiving it may be impossible to tell, but it does sound like he isnt setup to boot off the DVD.

on my laptop I have to press F2 but you have to do it REALLY fast or you'll miss the opportunity.

Have you set you laptop so that it will boot from the DVD?

that needs to be step1

• 1 month later...