i want a new distro

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard fanny used to mean bum over here - although I suppose some people might use it for that

<nod> Well, we lived there (individually - didn't know each other then) in the '80's and early '90's -- ages ago and long enough for a change.

• 2 months later...
Guest bhrich902

i agree with rcxau, just add a bunch of sources to your urpmi database and dependencies should be dealt with no problem. i recently came into linux through mandrake 9.1 and i was so pist at how it didn't install apps like a mac or win box would (double click and bang), then i stumbled on to this simple solution and had no more problems with it, i love urpmi.

I was a noob on mandrake and had so much trouble installing things (rpm, never really tried urpmi). I tried to get urpmi set up but guess I did something a little wrong.

Anyway, on redhat 9 with apt-get it's just so much more enjoyable to install stuff. No work at all, just sit back and watch it go... no dependency probs, no conflicts, everything a-ok (at least so far... :lol: )

Anyway, on redhat 9 with apt-get it's just so much more enjoyable to install stuff.  No work at all, just sit back and watch it go... no dependency probs, no conflicts, everything a-ok  (at least so far...  :lol: )

but apt-get is also available for mandrake. i havent used it but i know granpappy anon does.

ciao!

so why's everyone always talking about urpmi, urpmi, urpmi... :?

although I haven't used urpmi, I don't see how it could possibly be better than apt-get ....

(also I did not know apt was available for mdk - thanks for that tip :) )

I speak from my _limited_ experience, but as a perpetual-n00b, it could be good advice:

Lets start with Redhat I used 7.1, 7.2 and 9.0 - Nice distro, very clean, stable and friendlyish. I like the install, liked rpms, but the lack of a good package managment system (like urpmi) made me look elsewhere. Of course now Redhat has apt-get for rpms, so I might try it again one day.

So I moved onto Mandrake I used 8.1, 8.2, 9.0, 9.1 - Loved the distro and have stuck with it since. Urpmi fulfilled my dreams of a good package managment system. Very friendly, but a serious distro if you want it to be. Love the drakes and it makes running a server a dream. Problems: Mandrake messing around with libraries like gcc, making compiling a nightmare for a newbie. Urpmi is great, but hdlists can be huge and installing/maintaining a decent list can be treacherous, especially on dialup. I'm convinced that nay distro is next to useless without a permanent 'net connection.

So, now I am in the process of installing Gentoo - Slick, powerful, Portage is superior to urpmi (IMO) and now with GRP, I don't need to spend hours compiling or downloading packs. It is a more serious distro (no drakes, etc) and forces you to do things the Linux way, so I am learning quite a bit. Comes with excellent documentation to guide you through everything.

When Mandrake 10 is released, I will most probably buy a box set. I love Mandrake and will always keep it around on one box or another. IMO it is the best distro for dekstop users who need a friendly distro. at the moment.

I also use the BBC (Bootable Business Card), the recent version which fits on a miniature CD. I love it, pop it into the CD drive and boot into a fully operational distro, including X, Mozilla, and a few other handy apps. Great as a rescue disk as well.

Those are my opinions, I have messed around with Debian, SME-Server and a few other distros, but not enough to give you valuable advice on them :wink: