How do you pronounce GIMP?

Cannonfodder

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but does not Linus himself say lin-ix? Thus, there is an argument in our favour, por favor?

actually, on some older versions of mandrake, there was a sound clip used for testing your sound card in mandrake control center's hardware config tool.

it was Linus, saying, "My name is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Lin-ix Lie-nix"

;-)

There was a website with an audio file that said the same thing. Only it was kind of hard to understand so I never could figure out exactly how he was pronouncing it. I do remember something about it rhymes with cynics though. :?

There was a website with an audio file that said the same thing.  Only it was kind of hard to understand so I never could figure out exactly how he was pronouncing it.  I do remember something about it rhymes with cynics though.  :?

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/saylinux.htm

you can download the avi-file and listen to Linus.

btw the 'u' in Linux is not an 'i' :lol:

btw the 'u' in Linux is not an 'i'  :lol:

fully aware of that, but some people pronounce the u as if it were an i. my intent was phonetical spelling, not actual ;-) (I'm one of those people where Linux sounds like Lin-ix, not Lin-ux (to me, the sound difference is that of "icks" and "ucks"....if that makes sense :? )

fully aware of that, but some people pronounce the u as if it were an i.  my intent was phonetical spelling, not actual ;-)  (I'm one of those people where Linux sounds like Lin-ix, not Lin-ux (to me, the sound difference is that of "icks" and "ucks"....if that makes sense :? )

tyme: :wub:

fully aware of that, but some people pronounce the u as if it were an i.  my intent was phonetical spelling, not actual ;-)  (I'm one of those people where Linux sounds like Lin-ix, not Lin-ux (to me, the sound difference is that of "icks" and "ucks"....if that makes sense :? )

tyme: :wub:

:shock: :huh: :?:

Really, if I had to make a serious guess, I would have thought 5....because of the word krell being part of it.

I know what a krell is... I don't know what a krellm is.

And I'm not just arguing because you edited my post!!! :)

No matter what it is, its a stupid name...

Kinda on/off topic, but I've often thought that the program names in linux are part of the problem with adoption? have you noticed that apps like Open Office are very popular, while apps like gnucash and gaim (and gkrellm) are known but not as popular, possibly because people dont know how to say it.

While I'm at it, I'm assuming gnucash is pronounced GUH-NOO-CASH and gaim is pronounced GAME (like video game)

Yes? No?

A rose by any other name would still be pronounced X-KGNUROSE if it ran on Linux! :twisted:

i do pronounce gaim as game.

i've never really said gnucash, but i'd probably say it as you said since that's how i pronounce GNU

and you should feel special, that's the first post i've edited! ;-)