Recommendations for TFT monitor

finlay

Guest JaseP

Dave is right,...

If the monitor has a standard 15-pin D connector, then chances are it will work in Linux, and it will be seen as a generic monitor. You may have to do a simple line edit of your XF86Config-4 file just to make sure the refresh rates are within the parameters.

When you have the S-video connector, things get more complicated.

James, thanks for pointing me to the database. Of course it was the first place I looked. But whatever the database says, there are plenty of users running hardware that is not listed there. They simply haven't informed Mandrake. Hence the reason for my asking people to list the monitors they're successfully running.

For instance, the link to the hardware database seems to be broken this morning but I've a feeling that the monitors listed in the last two posts here aren't listed. So that's what I'm looking for.

Finlay

JaseP,

> When you have the S-video connector, things get more complicated. <

now that's interesting.... Can you tell me what an S-video connector looks like please? Is that what is referred to when the monitor's part # ends in S e.g. the one I'm thinking of buying (mail order so I won't be able to look at the connector) is L1710S.

Finlay

James, thanks for pointing me to the database.  Of course it was the first place I looked.  But whatever the database says, there are plenty of users running hardware that is not listed there.  They simply haven't informed Mandrake.  Hence the reason for my asking people to list the monitors they're successfully running.

For instance, the link to the hardware database seems to be broken this morning but I've a feeling that the monitors listed in the last two posts here aren't listed.  So that's what I'm looking for.

Finlay

ok

If your LCD monitor has an analogue interface, the computer just sees as the same as a standard CRT. 

DAVE

I just chickened out and got a monitor which had a DBA-15 (normal VGA adapater). Somehow its not the point though, the whole idea of going to analogue and back to digital is ... well stupid ... but I played safe.

I got a really cheap one 300 pounds from PC world when it ws on offer which isn't bad for a 17" TFT.

I'm pretty pleased with it, it might not be as nice as a top of the range one but its sooooo much nicer than a big 20" CRT.

It runs at 1280x1024.

The reason I got it from PC world is I could compare them side by side.... I could tell the difference between mine and the 500 pounds plus ones but it didn't seem woth the difference.

Just an idea but if yuor set on a DVI connecter perhaps you could look for combo-sets with graphics card and monitor ...

Alternatively check the OPTIONS part of the driver for your video card and see if it has DVI specific ones. (I find an easy way is in xf86cfg)

Gowator many thanks. Now what was the make of that £300 monitor? :D

The only Xf86config Option for my radeon 7000 is DPMS (alas I've no idea what that means - well i know what it means but I don't know what it _means_ IYSWIM... The card comes with a DVI connector.

I phoned LG by the way and they informed me that the "S" bit of the name of the monitor is nothing to do with S-video - it has a standard D connector and I think no DVI.

Anyway it's all looking much more promising. I wonder if I'm making a fuss about nothing?

Finlay

Ahh, Can't remember off the top of my head, it was something generic sounding ..

Its not as good as the more expensive ones but ....

You have to use the xf86cfg (not xf86Config to see the options. (Well Im sure there are 101 other ways but that one works for me)

Anyway it's all looking much more promising. I wonder if I'm making a fuss about nothing?

No not really, its always best to check out personal experience :-)

For me the issue is do I want top of the range or just a nice flat TFT. In theory DVI is better and all but when your jumping in at the budget end ..

p.s. DPMS it the monitor power management ... it just activates it if int in the XF86Config-4.

I honestly don't think youll have problems with a analgue DBA-15. One user had some problems but that was mainly because his card wan't well supported. Well, considering it was written by one guy without the help of the vendor you could say it was very well supported considering ...

Ive always found monitrs one of those subjective things. Certainly I've had really good cheap ones but you need to pick it out yourself. The cheaper you buy the greater variability in quality. With a CRT etc. its usually the focus or something that is not perfectly aligned or banged in shipping. My advice is if it costs 10 quid more get a store that will connect a few up for you. I made the guys in PC world connect about 4-5 up before I decided on 'that one'. They were actually quite good about it, especially I guess since I fixed their mutli-monitor display whilst I was at it....

My experience is expect to run it in the native resolution, anything else is usally not as fast becuase its interpolated in software. Here is where a good card might be able to take the interpolation over .... but if you expect just a single resolution it should be fine.

You have to use the xf86cfg (not xf86Config to see the options. (Well Im sure there are 101 other ways but that one works for me)

Hmm, my xf86cfg is a binary file and I can't read it. But many many thanks for taking the time. You've helped me a great deal. Now I know why I joined this forum

:D

Finlay

Hey I know its a binary file ....

you run it.

Just type xf86cfg from a console. Its an X prog but not on the menu's.

Copy your XF86Config-4 (as a precauntion first)

If you select the card you get a drop down dialog that lists the options for your card. I don't know another easy way to see them but it usually has lots of goodies, sometimes including overclocking or second display type etc.

Its worth having a look just to see what options there are :-)

Tip of the day. If you more a binary file and get crap on your cursor you can use the reset and clear usually works depending on console.

Or type blindly stty sane <enter>