Recommendations for TFT monitor

finlay

I'm thinking about buying a TFT monitor but have come across one or two alarming posts from folk whose monitors haven't worked. I'd be grateful if anyone using a TFT monitor could post their recommendation here (and your video card) along with any tips and tricks. I'm running Mdk 9.1 and I've got and old ATI Rage 128 Pro which I'll happily upgrade. (I bought a Radeon card recently but it doesn't work :( )

I'd be really grateful for advice on this one - getting a bit obsessed with the idea of having one of these things :D

Finlay

Been using a NEC MultiSync LCD 1525M for about 18 months, never a problem, never had to configure it.

Always had to "do the Nvidia thing" for the card though, Geforce 2, but thats a two minute job.

dabs.com are in the UK , and are pretty good on price and service.

Viewsonic VG175, MDK 8.2 and then MDK 9.1, First Radeon 32MB DDR (now called a 7000)

Absolutely no problems. Look for monitors that offer a screen protector sheet (this particular Viewsonic model offered one at extra cost, $25). The sheet covers the soft monitor screen to keep fingers and other objects from touching the screen. Finger prints are difficult to remove and must be done carefully to avoid screen damage...

I wonder why Laptops don't have these?

Many thanks, people! Please keep them coming...

Silly question re Nvidia driver :-

I printed out the instructions. How do you get to enter all that stuff if you haven't yet got your monitor working .... cos you haven't yet installed the driver? :? Or do you get bare 600x800 to let you do the work? I KNOW I'll regret having asked that.

BTW, cjc, (slightly off topic) I have a connect 3D radeon 7000 which just won't work with Mdk 9.1. I have the Via KT266A chipset. Anyone know how to get it to work?

Finlay

How do you  get to enter all that stuff if you haven't yet got your monitor working .... cos you haven't yet installed the driver? :? 

Finlay

Booot to run level three. or linuxnonfb or init 3 (whichever you understand) then you can use a text editor. vi is pre-installed, your going to have to learn how to use it :wink:

Give us a shout if you get stuck.

Correction to a previous post.

My radeon 7000 DOES work.  (Don't ask)

now now, you _know_ you gotta tell us ;-) (assuming you know why it started working).

besides, putting the answer may help someone else in the future who might come upon this thread. :)

Believe it or not, I got thrown by the version of XFDrake that gets thrown up in a terminal. Could I get that thing to work?... :oops: ..It is NOT intuitive. I expect when I've selected an option, to get alternatives I hit Return - not "Do". Please.

Anyway, Please keep the TFTs coming. The more I know are working with 9.1 the happier I'll be.

Finlay

Well I've pretty much decided to go for an LG L1710s which ebuyer are offering at a good price. I'll keep my fingers crossed it works with my Radeon 7000. All those listed in the supported database are either too expensive or out of date.

Many thanks to the THREE people who recommended their TFTs. (I wonder if this means very few Mdk users own TFTs or if [holy paranoia] there really is a problem with them?)

Finlay

Guest jghat

I have the KDS 17 inch from Wal-Mart. It's working on my Dell Laptop with an ATI Rage and it works on my lowly eMachine with God knows what as a video chip on the motherboard. I tried another brand (forgot what) and it didn't work in Linux but this one does and it works well and was very inexpensive.

I have a Xiod IM17RU (a Samsung OEM in fact). I did have a problem with it, in that the range of numbers in the file XF86Config-4 did not go high enough. None of the settings I selected for the monitor in Mandrake Control Centre did. I had to manually fiddle with the file.

For the Vertical Refresh rate of 75Hz, my monitor had to have a Horizontal Sync rate of 80.3kHz. The line in XF86Config-4 said

HorizSync 39-79

So the monitor used a lower refresh rate and the picture got garbled.

I changed the line to read 39-81 and all was well.

If your LCD monitor has an analogue interface, the computer just sees as the same as a standard CRT.

DAVE

Thank you. That's just the kind of information I was looking for. :) What I need is , if the monitor doesn't work, I need to have a bunch of possible fixes I can try before just giving up and sending it back. Yours fits the bill.

Ta, Finlay