Mandriva 2008.1 spring freezes at startup

Guest Fabio61

Guest Fabio61

I have been experimenting with Linux on my new subnotebook.

I first installed mandriva 2007.1-one; it installed beautifully with no problem neither in running nor in booting (I kept my vista and installed Mandriva on a second partition), however I realized that that distribution did not allow an easy reading and writing on my NFTS partition and I was suggested to go ahead with a clean install of Mandriva 2008.

I did it and installed nicely, however after a few seconds after reboot the sistem freezed. I tried several times then I decided to give ubuntu a try.

I installed Ubuntu and works nice, but I still like a lot of things of mandriva better, then I decided to install Mandriva spring 2008.1.

I used a "one" version on a live CD. Everything went ok, nice installation, nice partitioning (I kept my ubuntu and I obtained a new partition for mandriva), very nice boot (effortless recognition of both ubuntu and vista partitions), but after a few seconds, again freezes: no mouse and no keyboard action.

I downloaded the Mandriva-free-DVD and did a clean install with that, because I was suggested to pass the "no apic" parameter to the boot. Again everything went ok, but again a few seconds after booting everything freezes up.

Any idea about what needs to be done?

Edited by Fabio61

Guest yaayaa

At what step does your system freeze ?

Try typing "I" while booting to enter interactive mode. Then, you can select each module to be loaded and probably identify the problem.

Need more information to help you....

Regards,

Yaayaa

You can try a few boot switches:

noapic

nolapic

acpi=off (safest)

nopcmcia

nohz=off

and so on...

These are the main things to try if you have a freezing system, and you don't know why.

No need to reinstall of course, you can pass one, all or some of the above arguments to the kernel via the initial grub menu.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest Fabio61

It freezes after booting: booting goes ok, the system starts up, I even can performa a task like opening one program (not always I can get so far, though!), then it freezes.

Guest Fabio61

The only way I found so far to make it work is to pass the acpi=off switch to the kernel.

Now, don't I risk to have a few pieces of hardware non recognized with that switch?