Blank screen after boot [solved]

Anti

Hello all, I am new to Mandriva and Linux in general. I am migrating from Windows and FreeBSD (although mostly Windows). Below are the steps I performed leading up to my issue:

-I downloaded and burnt mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586.iso

-I booted from the disk and let the install process start

After watching everything pass (except network connection) in the verbose messaging during the initial install my screen flickers, I can only assume this is the GUI trying to start, and then it stays blank. I read a few posts on this board already about similar issues but I haven't found any fixes that worked for me. There was a few I couldn't try though as I was unable to pull up a command line.

FYI my hardware setup is as follows:

-Intel Core 2 2.13GHz

-2 GB Dual Channel RAM

-NForce 680i mobo

-Dual Nvidia 6800 Ultras in SLI configuration

-Dual Seagate 80Gb HDs in Raid 0

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Edited by Anti

Trying running XFdrake once logged into the console window as root, and reconfigure your graphics card for VESA for the time being and see if that will give you a gui environment. If it does, we can then go through trying to get your particular video card to work.

You can then just reboot after making this chance, or type:

init 5

when logged in as root to try again. If that failed, because you might be at runlevel 5 already, then you can also try logging out and back in as a normal user, and then type:

startx

you can get out of the gui with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE if you find you see that it's loaded but no desktop environment. At this point, just reboot for now.

How do I get to the console window? Once the install has started I haven't found a way to get to a prompt, it just progresses until the point that the blank screen comes up. I tried hitting ctrl+alt+backspace at that point, and nothing happens.

I see you state that you are using Raid0.

I hope you are aware that if either of your hard drives fails then you LOSE ALL of your data despite the fact that the remaining HD still works ???.

Since you cannot get to the install phase then it seems that your install Disc may be corrupted.

Did you do a checksum of the iso after you downloaded it and did you burn it at the slowest speed possible then do a checksum check again ???..

If not the try redoing the iso download and do a checksum. Try a new burn at the slowest speed.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

AussieJohn,

Thanks for the tips, I am aware of Raid 0's flaws, but I have it covered with a good backup process.

I did a checksum on the iso and I actually burned a second copy of the disk at the slowest speed. I still get the same results though.

Ok, I resolved this, basically I downloaded and burnt the DVD free release and the install took place successfully. I read some other posts on this topic and someone suggested the DVD release uses a difference Nvidia driver. It seemed to work ok.

Now I have another problem with my installation not booting. I will create another topic for that though. Thanks for the help guys!