MS feels the pinch

ral

Microsoft are apparently selling Windows XP and Office for almost nothing in Thailand. A bundle price of $35 for Windows XP & Office suite.

Looks like someone is getting worried ;)

Guest stodge

Now that's a monopoly! Although they could state that as salaries are lower in Thailand they have to reduce their prices. But we all know they are doing this as their software is pirated like crazy over there.

I always seem to get this one:

To display language charachters correctly you need to install following language pack:

Chinese Traditional

but what's the difference, I can't read it anyway, so I click cancel and view the squares instead.

Hey, it's pirated here even before its released. Check out this link on the donkey:

ed2k://|file|Microsoft.Windows.Longhorn.M5.4015.ISO|698329088|B75D9D3B9B9D0D58B1CFABCF0

FA4BA9F|/

I like they way they claim they lose millions every year. How could they stay in business with losses like this? They don't lose crap... people ain't gonna buy it anyway (No Sale = No Loss.) They may just as well lower prices here in the USA too... before the masses wise up and discover something better (like we did.)

It is a fact that ms made their inroads with computer vendors, that people get their windex os by default, that the method is working for them, and that the os of choice, that is, an os that must be loaded after the fact, is Linux.

Hey, it's pirated here even before its released. Check out this link on the donkey:

ed2k://|file|Microsoft.Windows.Longhorn.M5.4015.ISO|698329088|B75D9D3B9B9D0D58B1CFABCF0

FA4BA9F|/

why would you even want to consider getting that since Longhorn is nowhere close to complete and won't be till 2005 or later? (that is, aside from the fact that it's an MS product).

it's obviously not done, and i bet that download isn't even real. my friend thought he was getting longhorn and ended up with Jedi Knight II. even further off-topic: anyone ever look at the namings schemes of the Jedi Knight games? you had: Dark Forces, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and then Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

so we have 3 Jedi games...but only one bares a number mark, which is II...gah. makes no sense.

anyways...back ontopic, yeah, MS is scared of how big Linux is getting in other countries. but they still have a firm grasp on their home country, unfortunately :-/

• 4 months later...
Guest kuchwas

Here is a related link about VietNam trying to eliminate Microsoft.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/perl/story/32008.html

"We are trying step by step to eliminate Microsoft," said Nguyen Trung Quynh of Vietnam's Ministry of Science and Technology. Quynh and other government tech officials want Vietnam to be on the cutting edge of an international movement to embrace open-source software -- products that can be downloaded from the Internet for free and perform the same tasks as Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) Windows or Office.

The initiative is Vietnam's solution to software piracy , a rampant problem that threatens to derail the country's economic aspirations.

Tim

Edited by kuchwas

i saw this article 3 hours after it came out. all i can say is "Go Linux!" :D asia is the largest market, and it would seem their dumping M$ (yay!). now if the bloody americans would get smart, things would be peachy.

if you wish to stay current on the news, there is 1 site you need. http://news.google.com/ run a search on whatever you like. linux, sco, microsoft, whatever. the google news site just rocks :thumbs::headbang:

Thailand is getting smarter than Indonesia.. The people here are too arrogant (yet have too much money to burn) to admit that often lower priced solution works better than higher priced ones.

Although with the new Intellectual Property Protection Law, it seems that many people are going to linux solution because of the price difference and fear of jail-time :)