NVidia Drivers

liquidzoo

Ok, so it's been a while since I last had to install the NVidia drivers under Mandriva. Last time I did it, I downloaded the bin file straight from NVidia's website and installed it that way under the cli.

Apparently that's changed.

For one, when I try to install it that way, I notice that apparently the text is all messed up. No spacing, no clearing, weird stuff.

Also, apparently even with the correct kernel-source installed (I checked, double checked, then installed it from the dvd before adding any other sources), the drivers are still complaining that the module can't be loaded.

So, before I go even more bald, can someone help me out here? Seems a silly thing to ask since I've done it the same way over the past decade, but the way I know doesn't seem to work anymore. What files do I need to install to get my card working again?

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

If you haven't already done so, set up all your software sources with easyurpmi (link at top right of page). Then in a terminal do

XFdrake

select your graphics card, and when it asked you if you want to use the proprietary driver, answer yes. It will do all of the work for you. :)

That's no fun :P

Thanks, though. I'll give it a shot.

Hopefully I don't relive my cooker incident from yesterday :P X wouldn't start, so I rebooted. After that, grub got stuck on Mounting Local Filesystems. I hadn't done anything yet with the install, so I just simply reinstalled.

If you first install the packages mentioned by the YinYeti, then you will be able to install the NVidia drivers using the command line as you mention in the original post. The only advantage to this method is you can get the latest driver.

The procedure is:

* Enable the official repositories

* Run XFdrake / drakx11 (same thing)

* Re-select your card group (which will likely be GeForce FX to GeForce 8800)

* It will ask if you want to use the proprietary driver

* Say yes

* Quit the tool

* Reboot or restart X

* Profit!

:)

Note that if you use the One or Powerpack editions, the proprietary driver will be used right out of the box, you don't have to do anything. Free doesn't use the proprietary driver because, well, it's not Free (hence the need to enable the official repositories before you can set it up).

Edited by adamw

Adam, is there any benefit to updating the driver in PWP to the "new" one announced on the home page?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display..._173.14.05.html

I dont do anything special w/ my system, but I may start to get into dvd editing.

I'm not necessarily one to run out and update the latest and greates on my MDV box, I leave that to my XP pc's :wall:

thx

If your card is working fine for everything you need it for, no, don't put yourself to the trouble.

We'll provide that driver version in /backports soon (waiting on a bug fix for the udev package before doing it), but generally speaking I don't advise upgrading the NVIDIA package unless you have a specific reason to: you have a card that's only supported by the new version, or you're suffering from a bug that may be fixed by the new version.