blizzard shuts down freecraft

Michel

It wasn't certainly the quality of warcraft, but it was getting there .....and you could use teh buildings,..of warcraft II if you had bought that cd...

But their arguments where the name:

what about lindows-windows.???

and the code showed some similarity(i suppose in technique):

but how did the developpers got those ideas you ahve to ask yourself then, if teh code is safely with blizzard? It was made public or it is a common technique....I don't think they do the effort to steal it :).

It wasn't certainly the quality of warcraft, but it was getting there .....and you could use teh buildings,..of warcraft II if you had bought that cd...

But their arguments where the name:

what about lindows-windows.???

and the code showed some similarity(i suppose in technique):

but how did the developpers got those ideas you ahve to ask yourself then, if teh code is safely with blizzard? It was made public or it is a common technique....I don't think they do the effort to steal it :).

I don't think they are referring to the code but to the idea behind the game itself. The look and feel of the game engine.

Glitz.

Don't think they have a patent or that even if tehty wanted ,-> unfair competition???monopoly????

The reasons where the name and similarities in teh engine, but even that are not enough reasons to close it down I think, certainly because teh code is not sdtolen, but complete self-written and I believe that :)....How would they get the code???It had to be public..anyway I don't believe it..first prove it...

Guest JaseP

It boils down to the fact that Blizzard could easily make the contributor's lives a living hell by suing them individually under copyright infringement. This is the kind of crap we can expect in the wake of the SCO debacle.

If you can't compete,... sue (or threaten to sue) and hope its sticks.

Personally I would have just hired those guys and made it the linux end of Blizzard. It would have/could have, been a great teamup.

But then again that growing linux market would never pan out. Not even in the Asian markets. :o

looks like the people at freecraft are startign a new project

Ingo Ruhnke has launched RoboVasion, a project based on the FreeCraftengine:

RoboVasion is an original Real Time Strategie game somewhat similar to Starcraft or Command&Conqueuer. Your goal is to defeat the other parties units buy build a base, gather resources and attacking the enemies base. It takes place in a futuristic world where AI controlled drones try to colonise an alien planet.

RoboVasion will be build based on the FreeCraft engine, which will be renamed and cleaned up a bit to make Blizzard happy.

looks like the people at freecraft are startign a new project

Ingo Ruhnke has launched RoboVasion, a project based on the FreeCraftengine:

RoboVasion is an original Real Time Strategie game somewhat similar to Starcraft or Command&Conqueuer. Your goal is to defeat the other parties units buy build a base, gather resources and attacking the enemies base. It takes place in a futuristic world where AI controlled drones try to colonise an alien planet.

RoboVasion will be build based on the FreeCraft engine, which will be renamed and cleaned up a bit to make Blizzard happy.

Project inferno begins Further to my previous submission about freecraft being shutdown, a new project called Project Inferno has begun. It's aim? To continue freecraft's work, after of course, removing the warcraft 2 compatibility. As of yet they have no website, but their irc channel is #projectinferno on irc.freenode.net.

If people would just name their projects totally different than the game they are cloning, we'd be much better off.

bnetd...

Lindows...

FreeCraft...

I see a trend. Okay, the first one isn't that similar, but still.

By the way: http://images.lindows.com/closed/LindowsRock.swf