Seeking moviemaker suggestions

mindwave

many many years ago on win98SE I had a very primative "movie maker" program that worked very simply.

you opened the application, and it opened with a series of "filmstrips"

onto each "strip" you dropped a video files (.mpg .avi whatever)

the application would then "link" together all these video files together into one big "project" which, in theory, you could then burn onto a DVD and pop it into any dvd player.

of course win98se w/ FAT32 had the file size limitations, plus it all ran on an 800MHZ cpu so it was INCREDIBLY longwinded, rendering the files.

but it was a nice SIMPLE approach.

no flash no whiz bang, no rotating menus with disappearing text, it just "worked"

anyone have any experience with a linux application that works with several different types of video files, and has a fairly simple approach?

currently running AMD 5600 X@ with 4GB ram, 1TB of HD MDV 2008.1 that can do what I need it to do?

essentially I'm looking to Link Together a bunch of smaller video files, of several different formats, and create something that can be burned directy to a DVD?

I'm sure its out there, it could be right under my nose, just looking for suggestions!

thanks

J

avidemux could be part of the answer: you can merge several video files, arrange cuts where needed, and export the whole thing to DVD format. It won't do the actual burn, though. Well, that's "as far as I know"; I never use those parts of avidemux.

Yves.

I've been using DeVeDe and Tovid-GUI recently. DeVeDe is much easier to use though. Just don't try to change the format from 4:3 to 16:9 because video tends to get jerky. If it was shot in 4:3, best to leave it as that than encode it to something else.

IAN

I installed DeVeDe and it looks like just what I'm looking for. But I am confused by one thing.

IN XP, my "movie maker/dvd burner allows me to put 2 1 hours shows on a DVD and says its full.

On Deevedee I loaded the same 2 shows, told it to create an ISO and when it was done it created a 2.9GB DVD instead of the 4.2 that the other app stated.

I havent done a side by side view, but any idea why the difference?

J

Perhaps due to the "quality" of the recording. I don't know much about creating DVDs on the computer, but my stand-alone DVD recorder has four "quality" settings which allow the recording of from 1 to 8 hours per disc, depending on the level selected.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508

If you re-encode and degrade quality, you can get more on a DVD. I can encode at high quality and get one hour on a 4.7GB or I can reduce it a little to get up to two hours. You could go even further if you want, but quality would be worse.