Which programm language best to use in Linux?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i would recommend c or c++ and use fltk www.fltk.org for you gui widgets you can make apps that way that run on linux/mac & win. also its fast and not bloated.

I was actually referring to Sarah's remark. LOL.

bah it's because you don't have to package perl apps, etc for a distro. i have come across so much sloppy perl coding that it made me completely dis interested in learning it. i'd sooner sleep with a badger that use it.

Hmmmm, seems like I'm always doing the off-the-wall stuff. Since the topic actually states Programming Language and not IDE, I'll throw this in.

My preferred programming languages are Modula-2 and Oberon.

Naturally I also have to use C, Perl, & whatnot, but I prefer Modula-2 or Oberon (Kind of an object oriented Modula-2).

What about python? For GUI you can use things like Tkinter and PyGTK.

I've had experience with C++ in Windows but i wanted to try python. It's easier too. There's no compile but on a linux system you just chmod the script executable, it also needs to inludt the path to python at the top. I think the line is #/usr/bin/python

There is a good site for GUI toolkits for All platforms at

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vis...84/guitool.html

Good luck

James

• 2 weeks later...

If your a VB coder or just want a really easy language to learn and write basic apps (not 3d) try http://gambas.sourceforge.net

Otherwise If you've a decent Machine I'd recomend trying java especially if your new to programing (though if you are I'd recomend getting a decent uni level text book). You can grab Suns latest sdk (software development kit) from http://java.sun.com theres a version that comes with NetBeans a decent IDE for it. Java's a virtual Machine language which means it will run on any machine (apparently there's a version of java for a high tech japenese toaster?) that has java installed it's abit slow (normally but can be speed up using jit's and other methods) but fairly easy and can do any thing it's also easier to understand and use than c and c++ (pointers!) while being similar. It's got it's problems but's good enough that MS pretty much copied the intire thing and tweaked it abit when creating C# (Probably the best MS Windows Language though the mono project will mean that it soon works in linux as well (My programing leacturer last year raved about it)). Also it's very modular you can often download a class that does most of what you want to do and all you have to do is make a few changes or make a gui rather than writing the whole app from scratch, it's also OO which is good. Any way you'll be able to write an app and run it in linux, windows, OSX, freebsd? BeOS? most PDA's and so on with out having to make any major changes to the app.

Java's also what they teach First years at the local uni and many others.

Otherwise try Borland's Kylix a decent IDE for delphi and C!

Though lots of people just code straight c or c++ using emacs and the gnu tools. Other languages like pythlon are also fairly popular and easy to learn.

Gambas is probably the easiest I listed though.

Any way just about any language is avaliable in linux Choose one that suits you. I know some people who really like lisp and some of the functional languages!

Guest xavi

I'm not really into Linux (I can't get my wifi running under it so I'm condemmed to do Windows :x )

Anyway, my prefered language is Smalltalk... VisualWorks in particular (because of personal history) but you can get also Squeak or GNUSmalltalk... a nice article (a bit old but gives a decent Linux perspective)

Pure OO - 100% (Not like Java which despite what they say is NOT 100%)

For more links Google search for Smalltalk & Linux

My 2cts,

Xavier

PS: There seems to be a glitch with Google because it proposes:

Did you mean: smalltalk smalltalk linux

and if you follow it, Google then proposes:

Did you mean: smalltalk smalltalk smalltalk smalltalk linux

and so on.... weird! :huh:

xavi:

You could also say, I can't get my wifi working under linux so I'm condemned to cables :-)

Any particular wifi? I was thinking of using it at home, my house is like spagetti. Have you got USB or PCI wifi cards?

Try a thread on wifi linux???

Edit, Sorry I see you did and got no response.

:banghead:

Java probably wouldn't be a good option for you. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cracking language (mainly because it's my only language :wink: ), but it's more suited to server development. It runs too slowly to be a good option for desktop development, which is what you said you wanted to do. Java will do everything you want, but the need for a VM will make it slow on all but top spec machines.

If you already have some c/c++ experience, then there is no need to change.

Apparently c# is virtually identical to Java - not sure if it will compile for Linux though since MS invented it. It might be more suited to the desktop though - although I don't really know much about it. It would certainly be easier than c/c++ though

Stay F A R from C# people - did you know it limits the available instruction calls to the processor (that way they can control things like dvd ripping software, for example). Who wants limitations? "In a world without fences, who needs Gates?"

About the VB comments above - I find kylix / delphi (pascal) to be so similar to VB that the cross-platform implications make the pascal a better choice (and Borland's support of the GPL is nice to see) ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chuck

I know I'm late to the party on this thread, but anyways, I'm new to programming (just finishing a C intro course) and I gotta say, I love using Vi in a bash shell to write code, and compiling with "gcc whatever.c -o new_app". Works great. Like I said, I'm new to programming (no GUI stuff), so CLI is all I need right now.