configuring taskbar desktop panels

synthecin

first time ever even seeing linux.

I have installed spring 2008,

and in the task bar, I have sometimes as many as 36 panals for desktops.

I would be happy with three. How do I get rid of them?

1. I don't need them,

2. they take up so much of the task bar, I lose sight of the clock and other icons.

Edited by synthecin

Right-click on your desktop > configure desktop > multiple desktops > number of desktops.

Welcome to the board! :)

Thanks glad to be here.

I tried you sugesstion. However,

It shows I have 4 desktops selected, (I've name them front desktop, desktop 2, desktop 3 and last desktop) but the taskbar still shows me 27 desktop/boxes, taking up all the space on the task bar, forcing me to scroll back and forth.

I would like to get rid of those numbered boxes 5-36 (it now has 36 boxes) so I can see my entire task bar from clock to menu.

Thanks for help.

I think you have a real problem because the default is usually 4. I up it to 6 for my purposes.

Try opening KDE Control Centre. Go to Menu...........Tools.........System Tools...........Control Centre.........Desktop........Multiple Desktops. As you can see it shows an option of up to 20 so something is really amiss.

If that doesn't work then it means you have a corrupted KDE, possibly from a corrupted ISO prior to burn or a corruption during burn. Did you check the Checksum after downloading the iso and did you use the slowest possible speed for the burn ???.

If the answer is no to either or both then I would do s fresh download and a new burn.

Cheers. John.