ADSL wifi-router

satelliteuser083

I have the following configuration (in Italy): ADSL-broadband via a radio-receiver, feeding a modem with an RJ-45 output, plugging directly into the LAN-socket of my laptop. This works very well. My wife now also want wifi for her laptop, so I'd like to simply plug the modem's output into a wifi-router and (with a little re-configuration) continue as before, i.e using a wired connection. As I understand the situation, this implies using a router with an RJ-45 input and employing the ADSL-protocol, and this is where I start to get unstuck :unsure: . Could someone say whether or not my assumptions are correct and, if they are, which piece of kit is likely to do the job? Thanks.

Edited by satelliteuser083

Generally speaking you can get most any WiFi router to accomplish your task. When you plug in the router, you go to a configuration page in your browser to set it up. There are several types of connections and you choose the appropriate one. AFAIK, most all wireless routers include several wired RJ-45 jacks for connecting directly to it from a computer.

My main problem is that I don't fully understand the differences between the various protocols, for example ADSL and cable. Since MCC -> Network & Internet requires you to select the type of connection to be configured (e.g.DVB, IDSN, DSL, cable), I assume that there are significant differences between the various options. If the modem-output is DSL, surely any router that I attach to it needs to 'understand' that protocol in order to operate correctly?

ADSL-broadband via a radio-receiver, feeding a modem with an RJ-45 output, plugging directly into the LAN-socket of my laptop.

Make sure you purchase a wireless router with an RJ45 input, and not an ADSL or DSL 'modem router combo' with an RJ11 input. Don't worry about the ADSL protocol, the modem you have now has taken care of that.

You should also check with your ISP to see if you can have more than one PC connected using the service you now have.

You should also check with your ISP to see if you can have more than one PC connected using the service you now have.

If you have a router with NAT, your ISP can't tell how many computers you have connected. Don't expect any technical support from them though if you have a problem with your router.

There is no such thing as a Cable router or ADSL router unless the modem is built into the router. You already have the modem, so just buy the router. See if the following link is of any help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residential_gateway

Really, the main thing you need to be concerned with is setting up the router, and whether to use PPPOE or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pppoe

HTH

There is such a thing as a DSL router! What you have to understand is that in the UK, there are two types of services. The first is offered by the telecomms companies, and is always DSL via PPPOA. THen there is the type provided by the Cable companies like Telewest/NTL and so on - which tend to use PPPOE.

ADSL router theoretically does exist because it provides the service to connect to ADSL lines, albeit the fact it is actually a DSL router, rather than being specific with ADSL/SDSL.

I can't claim to have completely understood everything that you've pointed out, but I am a bit further down the road. My confusion was mainly based on the fact that setting up a connection using (e.g.) MCC requires specifying the connection-type involved; this implied to me that different drivers were necessary according to that type. Hence my last question. Anyway, I'll try a Linksys wireless-router, that I have spare, and hope that the Italian system supports it.

Many thanks to you all. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083