Logout Menu Woes

Mr Pockets151

What desktop are you using? If you are using Gnome, then your login manager should be gdm. If you are using KDE, then your login manager should be KDM. Sounds like you have them mixed around, which is why you don't have the options.

What desktop are you using? If you are using Gnome, then your login manager should be gdm. If you are using KDE, then your login manager should be KDM. Sounds like you have them mixed around, which is why you don't have the options.

I'm using KDE. How can I get into the windows manager menu

Edited by Mr Pockets151

Try MCC by Tools --> System Tools --> Configure Your Computer... Then, Click "Boot" and Look for "Set up display Manager"...

So I checked and KDE manager was set. So I saw X11 as another choice. And of course I chose it to see what it looked like. And now my graphics don't work. I see the login but once I log in screen goes black. Is there a terminal command to set it back to kde manager. Otherwise I have to do a re-install

from the terminal you can type mcc

Yes, but he won't be able to reach the boot section from the text mode mcc that's invoked from the text console.

I don't know of a way to change the display manager from the command line. :unsure:

I think that the OP's problem was that he had 3D desktop Compiz Fusion enabled.

Mr Pockets151: What version version of Mandriva are you using 2008.0 or 2008.1?

Try this: from the text console log in as root then type:

XFdrake

then hit enter. From the text window that appears open Graphics Card and choose the "nv" driver if you have a Nvidia card and the VESA driver if you have an ATI card. Then OK OK OK OK or whatever until you are back at the text console then become a normal user, type:

exit

then type:

startx

And see if that starts the Graphical desktop. From the Mandriva control centre change the display manager back to kdm and change the Graphics card back to the proprietary driver.

As for the shutdown and restart options try disabling 3D desktop if you have it enabled and see if that solves the problem. If you are running 2008.1 try enabling 3D desktop again and see if shutdown and restart stick this time. If you are running 2008.0 then try changing the display manager to gdm, you will have to install gdm first of course.

Okay so I'm going to try what Medo said. I can boot into safe mode and try from there. Just to at least get graphics back. I am using ATI. I should have not selected X11.

As to OP I actually had metisse selected as my 3D. Compiz-Fusion had to many errors. Then I did a fresh install because of another problem I had. Chose metisse from the get go and still had the logout menu problem.

:wall:

Does X start automatically for you when you boot? Or do you have to log in through a command prompt and type startx?

I know that I do not have the reboot or shutdown options on my menu (KDE, but all the same) because I log in from the command line.

iirc there is an option to re-enable those options in the menu, but I can't remember where it is. I will do some digging and see if I can find it, but I might not be able to until I get home from work this afternoon.

Ok, 2 things to try:

Can you try to disable Metisse and see if those options come back? I am unsure how to do this, to be honest, but I'm sure there are instructions that are only a quick board search away.

Otherwise, check in the KDE control center. There is an option there to show the shutdown options on the logout screen, make sure it is checked.

I don't know of a way to change the display manager from the command line. :unsure:

Create/change the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file as root so that:

DISPLAYMANAGER=GNOME

or

DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE

depending on your display manager preference.

Yves.

Just a heads up. I got into XFdrake. Disabled 3D graphics, chose non-proprietary driver, did a test(saw the lsd colors and a box that asked me if it was correct. Used the mouse and clicked yes) quit and hit exit.

Then I did startx and almost got somewhere. I saw the mouse pointer again, with the busy icon and it just stayed there..with a red background. Did nothing but show the busy icon.

I'm doing google searches to see if I can start er up, without having to re-install.

@YinYeti is there an extension to the "desktop" file. I will be using safe-mode so I guess that's a default path "/etc/sysconfig/desktop"

@YinYeti is there an extension to the "desktop" file. I will be using safe-mode so I guess that's a default path "/etc/sysconfig/desktop"

Just like that: "/etc/sysconfig/desktop"

Not more.

Yves.