Loki Games.......

ShadowFoxLSU

Yea, I have a feeling I will be flamed for this but... here it goes.....

I know that Loki has ported many games, in fact I own 5 of their games that they have ported, but I do not own the Linux versions (hey, I wasa Windows user at the time and didnt have my own PC). Anyway, I was wondering if it would kill whoever maintains Loki to release the game linux game engines so Linux users with the Windows versions of the game can play their game.....

....that is all

They did just that. To my understanding - no one is maintaining Loki. Hoever, they are the ones who made and released the "installer" (engine too) for Q3 and UT (and more) and I use my windows CD with those files...

no one maintains loki games anymore, they just sell them. atleast that's my understanding. and the code can't be released by anyone but the owners of the games, as I believe they retained the rights to the code which loki wrote when porting the games. when loki died, that code went back to the original creators of said games. it's not GPL, it can't be released unless the game owners decide to.

They did just that. To my understanding - no one is maintaining Loki. Hoever, they are the ones who made and released the "installer" (engine too) for Q3 and UT (and more) and I use my windows CD with those files...
they did that for some of the games, but many of the games weren't just an installer. they were rewrites of a good portion of the code i'm sure, as many of them were written to make use of DirectX I believe....

I think DOlson might be able to provide better info on this.

from the front page of www.lokigames.com

all source code has been returned to the respective licensors. Although we cannot guarantee that each licensor will continue to support the Linux versions of their titles, we have made certain that they have all the necessary tools to do so. Don't be shy about letting them know your thoughts on the matter.

You can buy them from TuxGames, ixsoft, or other places like that. Sometimes EB has old stock for cheap.

I usually buy all of my games from TuxGames.

And by the way, anyone who wants to make 5% off of any TuxGames sale can do so. Just sign up for a referrer account like I did, and put your name in the link as the referrer. It takes a long time to get enough to buy a game though, so be warned. In fact, I've never actually got enough to buy a full game, but hey, if you're looking for a bit of a discount, it's the way to go. I talked it over with lgp-michael because I was feeling bad about it, and he said that he's grateful for every sale, and 5% is well worth it to him to have someone buy some stuff from them.

Loki never ported Quake 3 Arena. They packaged it in a tin box with an installer on the disc and called it the Elite Edition. They also didn't port UT. They did maintenance for a while, but that's it.

Guest JaseP

The big problem was that some of the games weren't released as point releases that can run the Win files. So Unless you can scare up a copy of Sim City 3000, Descent 3, etc, you are S.O.L. as to running Win versions of them under Linux. There were minor data pack changes in the titles that made it so that you had to by the Loki version to run under Linux.

With Q3A, and some others, that was not the case. For those all you need is a Win version and the point release file.

• 3 weeks later...
gee, its almost liek someone should just warezors all of the old loki titles so all the linux users can play them!

Yeah! OR, you could stop being a cheap warez kiddie, and buy the damned games from TuxGames or some other site that sells them, or even get them cheap from eBay.

gee, its almost liek someone should just warezors all of the old loki titles so all the linux users can play them!
Buying would be a much better idea so that we see an increase in linux support from game companies. The linux reputation sure doesn't need to get scarier than it already is for proprietary coding companies!! We need to prove that we are a viable market, not a guaranteed pirate underworld.

Buying would be a much better idea so that we see an increase in linux support from game companies. The linux reputation sure doesn't need to get scarier than it already is for proprietary coding companies!! We need to prove that we are a viable market, not a guaranteed pirate underworld.

Yeah, I totally agree. Take a look at the producer of Tribes from Sierra had to say:

It's not that we dislike any of these OSs, really we're a company and couldn't give a rats ass what OS people want to use. We only care that our game sells enough copies to repay the investment required to make it, and a Linux client, no matter how much you protest, doesn't warrent more than about a $250 investment. When the Linux community finally shows that they will actually pay for a Linux game then I'll change my tune, but right now the "all software should be free" mentality, combined by the tiny gaming userbase makes Linux games a money sink that I have no desire to invest in.

It's not that we dislike any of these OSs, really we're a company and couldn't give a rats ass what OS people want to use. We only care that our game sells enough copies to repay the investment required to make it, and a Linux client, no matter how much you protest, doesn't warrent more than about a $250 investment. When the Linux community finally shows that they will actually pay for a Linux game then I'll change my tune, but right now the "all software should be free" mentality, combined by the tiny gaming userbase makes Linux games a money sink that I have no desire to invest in.

How can we make more noise about this sort of thing and (maybe) improve the future of linux gaming?