Install of 2008.1 Free [solved]

xboxboy

Hello all,

I have been dual booting mainly xp and mandriva 2008 for sometime now. I had mandrake 9 and 2005 LE installed as well, but 9.0 does not like my usb mouse and LE was a bit unstable so I used 2008 all the time.

The current issue of APC (Australian Personal Computer) has the 2008.1 cd isos included with it, so I thought, great I will install that. I put it on my mandrake 9.0 partition. I share a home patition between them all.

The installation went really well. It asked if I like to copy the cds to the hard drive and continue installation from there, and I did that. Upon first boot I was prompted to do the survey thing and I tried to, but it said my email format was wrong. No big deal I thought.

Then when I tried to use 2008.1 it was a bit slow and unstable. I eventually thought, I will reboot it.

During boot I got some failures and then the mouse did not work at all.

I have since checked the md5sums of the isos and they are all good.

Is it best to try a reinstall or to try and repair this installation?

Thanks Matt

if it's a fresh install it's probably quickest to try a reinstall if the problems still persist after reinstalling than it might be worth investigating

also do an update before rebooting

Edited by ffi

Frankly I cannot see what benefit is gained by saving the DVD to hard disc during the install. All it does is take up space. I know there may be special situations that exist for such practice but not for the ordinary user. The disc gets listed in MCC so if other items are required later via MCC then surely it is not too hard to put the disc back in when requested.

Sure installing from the Hard drive is quicker than from the disc but are we really so stuck for time that a minute or so longer is unacceptable ???. Come on, smell the flowers.

I endorse FFIs suggestion and fresh reinstall but take your time as you install. Tend to follow the installs suggestions it offers as you proceed. Mandriva is not tricky and try to have you guess what a setting should be. When it is unable to offer a suggestion then it lets you know.

Don't try to preempt as you used to have to do in Windows.

Cheers. John.

Ok, I done a reinstall.

First time I put the bootloader on the MBR. In the reinstall I put it on the partition that 2008.1 is on. It still has no mouse.

I tried to run mousedrake, but had no luck.

I'm stumped as 2008 went on perfectly from dvd (thanks to aussie john for copying it for me), so I presumed 2008.1 would have been simple.

Adamw, thanks,

I took a look at var/log/messages and I continually see the following

May 28 03:03:09 localhost modprobe: FATAL:Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/modules.dep: No such file or directory 
May 28 03:03:09 localhost modprobe: FATAL:Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/modules.dep: No such file or directory

I guess that is a file that contains my hardware setup information????

Anyways it is missing or corrupted, Any ideas?

I just had a look at /lib/modules and have a look at this:

/mnt/mandriva_2008_1/lib/modules/2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb

Am I right in thinking a folder has been created called 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mnb rather than 2.6.24.4-desktop-1mdv??????

Should I just rename this folder?

I've had a look in

/lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/modules.dep

and all the lines have -1mnb in them, not 1mdv, I am stumped! :huh:

My /lib/Modules has 1mnb as well so I would say that is normal since i am having no problems so I think the trouble is elsewhere.

Also I have nothing in /mnt so I suspect that that is the possible problem or part of it in your case.

If you can get to the DVD install data, delete it.

It is possible that your /home is full and preventing things from working , remember that is 4.3Gbs of data.

Do a fresh install and Install the Grub bootloader to the mbr and nowhere else..

Immediately you complete the install then install the updates. I too found 2008-Spring a bit sluggish after install but once all the updates were in it ran normally.

Cheers. John.

Thanks John, The reason its all listed in /mnt is because I was accessing 2008.1 from my 2008 install and mounted the 2008.1 partition under /mnt/mandriva_2008_1.

/home is a separate partition with 5gb still free also.

Why do I have no /lib/modules/2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv/modules.dep?

Hi all,

I found the source of the problem I think. Well it works now anyways.

I followed : https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ectory&st=0

It seems my old grub couldn´t access vmlinuz, and I set up a chain load and its all good. Im adding this through 2008.1. Yay!

:D :thumbs: :D :D :thumbs: :D