How to install Gnash or Swfdec Firefox plugin?

FlyingPenguins

Hi, I'm using Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring. I have encountered the issue documented here, since going to sites like Youtube will crash any browser I use. I've uninstalled the Adobe Flash plugin, but now I want to install either Gnash or the Swfdec plugin on Firefox. According to both of their sites, they say to install through the package manager. However, through rpmdrake I've only found Swfdec, and it's the standalone player only. So how do I install either of the plugins for Firefox?

copy and paste the following into a console:

su

urpmi.removemedia -a

urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist '$MIRRORLIST'

urpmi.addmedia --distrib --mirrorlist 'http://plf.zarb.org/mirrors/$RELEASE.$ARCH.list'

then

urpmi swfdec-mozilla

or

urpmi gnash-firefox-plugin

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for replying, ffl.

Sorry for the long delay in my response, I haven't had the time lately to test the installation procedure. Now that I have, the installation went pretty well. However, when trying to play any videos on YouTube, it causes Firefox to run with so much lag that nothing from the video is displayed. Would this an issue with Gnash, or my computer?

EDIT: Tried the 'urpmi gnash-firefox-plugin' method in conjunction with the first one. No more lag, but videos don't play at all now...

Edited by FlyingPenguins

Tried the 'urpmi gnash-firefox-plugin' method in conjunction with the first one. No more lag, but videos don't play at all now...

If I understand you correctly, you are now trying to use both swfdec-mozilla and gnash-firefox-plugin. You can 'not' use both of them as your flash plugin at the same time. So try one, then the other, to see which one works best for you.

If you're still not satisfied with the results, then I would suggest using the Adobe flash plugin and disabling PulseAudio.

The thing that frustrates me most about using Linux? Installing and uninstalling programs... :angry2:

I decided to keep gnash and uninstall swfdec. I tried, but can't uninstall either of them, as 1) neither shows up in the package manager; 2) can't search for either term in Find Files/Folders, as nothing shows up; and 3) urpmi.removemedia doesn't work.

Any ideas on what to do?

I decided to keep gnash and uninstall swfdec. I tried, but can't uninstall either of them, as 1) neither shows up in the package manager
In the top-left of your package manager is a dropdown box, set it to 'All'.
urpmi.removemedia doesn't work
If you're trying to use this to remove software, it's the wrong command. This command is used to remove your software sources, not your software. If you want to use the CLI to remove your swfdec, it would be (as root)
urpme swfdec-mozilla

Thanks Greg! The removal process worked perfectly. But since gnash still doesn't display videos properly, I just removed it too and went with the official Adobe Flash-minus-PulseAudio method. Tested out a few videos... nothing so far, hopefully it will stay that way.