Problem after installing mandriva spring free 2008

Guest yaunius

Guest yaunius

computer specs:

hdd samsung 160gb

ram 512 at 400mhz

processor amd athlon xp 2000+ 1.8ghz

grapics Ati Radeon 9250 256mb at 400mhz

I recently installed fresh mandriva linux free spring 2008 from DVD to clean hard drive. During installation there was NO errors. I'have leaved all by defaults. BUT, when I finish installation. Mandriva boots normaly but after booting when login window must appear it freazes, sometimes shows mandriva wallpaper, sometimes shows messed up screen and sometimes monitor just turn off. I have tried several times to change resolution, refersh rate and ect... Even I have tried to install Mandriva spring 2008 ONE. And got the same problem. I think that something is wrong with graphics driver. I tried to install mandriva linux spring 2007 - it works fine. So I guess I need the old grapics driver from 2007 version on my new 2008 v. But how to do that? Im new in linux so i don't know. Use a little help?

Welcome!

It is sad that you enter the Linux world with a hardware compatibility problem…

Anyway, the problem could indeed stem from the video adapter.

Try disabling 3D. And if that is not enough, then try reverting to the VESA driver.

Yves.

Guest yaunius

Thank you for fast answer,

I already tried to disable 3D even tried to disable hardware acceleration, so as I see, the only option is to revert to VESA driver. but how to do that? i hardly can use the linux console..

Close all you opened apps, if any. Go to the console with [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1].

Login as root.

Launch the "drakx11" command. Choose the first item (card model), and in the list choose (near the end) "XOrg|vesa".

Setup other items as you see fit, and save your choices.

Still as root, type:

service dm restart; exit

Yves.

Edited by theYinYeti

• 1 month later...
Guest yaunius

Thank you, I have reverted driver to Xorg|VESA. Now mandriva linux is finaly turned on.

BUT i can't use any 3d desktop features. I have checked the boxes to use graphics card acceleration and to use 3d settings. But still no use.. Is there any other suitable driver? Or just mandriva linux spring 2008 is NOT compatible with my graphics card?

There are only two drivers that don't come with Free - 'nvidia' and 'fglrx' (the NVIDIA and ATI/AMD proprietary drivers, respectively). That's because they're not Free. :)

Neither affects this situation, because this is a fairly old ATI card - cards older than Radeon 9500 are no longer supported by the proprietary driver at all, so we always use the Free driver for these cards (radeon), whether on Free, One or Powerpack.

It sounds like there is a definitely a bug in recent versions of the driver with your card. The best thing to do would be to investigate the bug so we can report it to the driver authors. The way to do this is to switch back to the native (but problematic) driver. Then try and start X. Assuming it fails, go to the console - ctrl-alt-F1 - and log in as root. Copy the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log to your home directory (for safekeeping):

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/yourusername

Make it owned by your user:

chown yourusername.yourusername /home/yourusername/Xorg.0.log

now switch back to VESA driver (as described above) and restart X, so you get back to your desktop. Then paste the /home/yourusername/Xorg.0.log file into this thread (or pastebin , or something) so we can look at it. Thanks!