Upgrading 2006 to 2008

Guest exuvo

Guest exuvo

Hello i was thinking of upgrading my mandriva 2006 to 2008 and i was wondering if there is any problems with it?

My services that start with the rest of the computer will they continue to work if i chose upgrade?

Is it better to do a new clean install instead?

A very warm welcome to MUB, Exuvo.

You are advised to go for a clean install.

If you had been on 2007.1 then you could do an upgrade with little likelihood of problems but an upgrade over a distant version such as 2006 will almost certainly cause lots of problems.

You really would do best to install 2008-Spring rather than 2008 since it is even further advanced again.

When you do the clean install, make sure that you create a hard partition for /home so that with future upgrades or clean installs you do not have to re-setup all your settings all over again.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

And even from 2008.0 to 2008.1 was surprisingly hard as I started my upgarde when the mirrors were being sync'd... Clean install (but just keep that /home directory and keep a copy of /etc, /usr/local and /usr/share/themes with any customisations you may have added).

Upgrading 2006 to 2007.0 was perfectly fine. Upgrading 2007.0 to 2007.1 (also known as 2007 Spring) was also fine. You cannot upgrade more than two releases, it's just too much of a major headache.

Clean installs are usually preferred so that you don't get minor niggling problems, or other unknown introduced issues.

You will not be dust of problem. Possible will be he hat to upgrade drivers (NVIDIA, ATI, etc) to one,s equipment only. I tried to reise with success from MDK 10.1......Lex