Stick with ext3

Guest ajw194

Hello AJW94. Welcome to MUB if you haven't been welcomed before.

Where did you get that impression from.

fat32 and ntfs are windows formats that the Linux world would never want to set up on.

All Linux endeavors to do is enable reading of files on those formats.

Microsoft would be very aggressive if Linux started setting up OSs on them.

I personally don't like the moves being made by many Linux applications being ported to Windows.

They say it is to help make it easier for Windows users to get used to them and make easier for them when they move over to LINUX and to make things platform independant. To me this is complete naive nonsense and only helps Microsoft and no one else. It also means a lot of time and resources of the programmers is distracted away from the Linux side of things. However it is their prerogative to do as they wish since it is their programs. Microsoft really loves this porting to Windows because it appears to give legitimacy to Microsofts claim that it is the superior OS. The tragedy is that the people doing the porting to Windows can't see or don't want to see it.

Is this perhaps what you mean by your statement ???. If that is really what you mean then I basically agree with you.

By the way that website you mentioned is about being able to access data from your Linux OS when you are in Windows. This way you don't have to reboot into Linux to get to that data.

Until this application was developed you had no alternative but to reboot into Liinux.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

I have used this application, and for me I love it. Why? I'll tell you why.

Why should I set up all my disks to be FAT32 or NTFS just so that I can share data between Windows and Linux. Now I can use a far superior file system (ext3) which is much better than FAT32 and NTFS for fragmentation.

On some machines, I have to dual boot Windows and Linux because of some of my business requirements. Now, I can just have the Windows OS on a smaller partition, and store all my files in ext3 meaning the majority of my system disk is available for Linux - with support for Windows to access it as and when I need to.

There is only one snag though. This driver is effectively for ext2 which is ext3 without the journaling. Therefore, for this to read your ext3 disk, you have to have had a clean shutdown of your system. If the filesystem wasn't unmounted cleanly, you can forget about mounting it in Windows until you've cleanly shut down the system.

I have also used it, and while it's better than the commercial Paragon driver (ext2anyhwhere), I surely enough prefer ntfs-3g: It's a bog standard in ANY serious Linux distro right now, very stable, close to 100% reliable and FAAAAST- it does not feel at all like a fuse userspace module. Of course neither supports journaling, and morally the opensource solution is the indicated one, but technically ntfs-3g is simply the better solution.

vfat is a thing from the past- to be used only on pendrives (and not for long).

Why should I set up all my disks to be FAT32 or NTFS just so that I can share data between Windows and Linux. Now I can use a far superior file system (ext3) which is much better than FAT32 and NTFS for fragmentation.

another reason to keep on using fat32/ntfs formatting is if you use your flash/pen drives for sharing with our computers. i would assume the ext drivers would stil require admin privileges to install and that is not guaranteed when you go to other systems.

ciao!

I have seen reports that the ext2 driver for windows will not work with ext3 partitions formatted by mdv 2008.1. (Perhaps related to the inode change.)

I just now downloaded the latest version (ext2IFS_1_11) and installed it on the XP partition of my laptop. I can confirm that it doesn't work with Mandriva 2008.1.

When I have some more time (to keep rebooting windows :)), I'll check if there's a fix for this.

• 1 month later...

Just a FYI: I was unable to make the current ext2IFS_1_11 version work with the new default inode size being used in Mandriva 2008.1 and I've emailed them about the problem.

I have installed and tested the ext2 file system driver version ext2fsd 0.46a from ext2fsd.sourceforge.net. This version works perfectly with the 256 byte inodes.

Thanks go to Zhu Shuisheng, over at forum.mandriva for locating this.