What video cards do you guys use?

Guest GhostDX

I have a radeon 9000 pro and it works very well. In fact I didn't need to do anything at all to get it recognized and have 3D acceleration enabled. It was recognized from the start and the install offered me to enable 3D accel.

Recent ATI cards are supported in XFree 4.3

I've always had ATI cards and they've always worked incredibly well for me.

I play UT 2003, ET and of course Quake :wink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good are ATI's linux drivers these days? Just wondering in case I want to upgrade my GeForce 2 GTS in the near future.

Thanks

They are pretty good (in some cases you'll have less problems then with NVidia).

Check out dri.sourceforge.net - you can get just about any ati cards going with their stuff.

That was quick :wink:

It's a matter of personal experience I guess. ATI cards never gave me problems so I didn't need to contact them for support. However they have a FAQ on their driver webpage which addresses most problems. And of course, you have the Linux community as well :)

Mine just worked without any special intervention and I find that cool for recent hardware under linux.

• 1 year later...

Well It's about time for an upgrade, trying to decide on either Geforce 6800 or 6600. I currently use a Geforce 2 GTS 64MB and have no problems running RTCW or Quake III. I can pull 200 FPS with good detail in Quake 3 with this GPU.

if you have the funds and they're no object, i always go for the best i can afford. just because you'll have it longer and you'll happy with it. if money is a little more of an object go for the slightly lesser card. i seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with it. i'm still running my geforce 4 ti4400. at the time money was an object and i wasn't willing to spend the extra 100 or whatever to go with the 4600. i lost SOME performance, but not much. it still runs great and outperforms alot of cards (some newer).

also you might want to ask yourself how much gaming you really do and if it demands such a beefy card. on the other hand, if you do cad or some heavy design, a professional grade card might be the thing to think about.

you probably know exactly what you need/want. these are just things i think about when i buy new hardware.

From memory, Intel 82852/82855 buit-in to my laptop, which is OK mostly, but I think it's only 32MB. Ran OK with Call Of Duty at least :P

Main PC is a Creative/NVidia GeForce Ti4400 Titanium, 128MB RAM. Two other machines running either ATI Radeon VE with 32MB, or ATI Radeon 9250 with 128MB.

Heh, I am using an NVidia TNT2 M64, but that's only because that's all that I can afford right now. It came that way with the box I purchased (for 100 USD). I highly recommend any NVidia card.

I have a geforce 6600, but i'm not really a pc gamer so i couldn't care less if it was bad or good.  :P

Would that be a Geforce FX? I'm just wondering because I'm getting a better job soon so something like that will probably be in my range.

NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra 64M.

Since my linux machine is on all the time, making it silent is one of the priorities. I refitted the card above (bought used for $20) with a large quieter fan (I think it could run purely passive cooling but it did come with a fan originally).

The only game I haven't been able to play comfortaby under linux with that card is DOOM3.

UT2004 looks great and play smooth at 1024x768 (albeit at lower detail level than my windows machine).

Next time I buy a video card for my main gaming rig (which runs windows), I'll do the "graphic card shuffle" with my other comps and the linux rig will end up with a totally passively cooled GeForce4 Ti4800 which is currently being used in my MAME cabinet.