Mandriva 2008.1 File System

viking777

I've always just used:

tar cvjpf /tmp/usr.tar.bz2 /usr

to backup the /usr partition for example. Then copied the /tmp/usr.tar.bz2 file off to another machine. Then my tar file is only as big as or compressed smaller than the actual size of /usr. Can take a bit of time though depending on size of partition, space used, etc.

tar gives you a reasonable backup I am sure (although I don't use it) but what I want, and used to have, until inode sizes were messed around with, is a restorable, resizeable, image in the least possible time and the least possible space with the capability of incremental additions and all with just a couple of mouse clicks. Afaik this is not yet possible with Linux but it used to be with Acronis.

I guess I will just have to put up with its sector by sector copying mode until something sensible comes along in the Linux world - if it ever does.

We just have to wait for Acronis to sort themselves out. Did you email them about it?

I did. As I said in my previous post they emailed me a link to their $700 Linux server backup software, and then asked me if their solution had solved my problem and would I like to take part in a customer feedback survey. :unsure:

I'd have taken part in the survey and told them they were a pile of crap. If you're not using servers, there's no need to buy their server product, so I would have said that was very bad advice as a solution to your problem.

They seem to be under the illusion that if you are using Linux, it must be for servers and not desktop systems!

I did. As I said in my previous post they emailed me a link to their $700 Linux server backup software, and then asked me if their solution had solved my problem and would I like to take part in a customer feedback survey. :unsure:

That's crap support.

I don't know what to say more than that. You bought their product, you reported a big bug (which would probably only need trivial changes to fix), and they're refusing to fix it.

I wouldn't buy from them again... or ever :)

Guest accessdenied

I like acronis mainly because it does a good job backing up windows. It's just a bonus that it works for linux as well. It's a pain to format before installing linux but I can live with that for now.

I'm not sure what benefit a 256 inode size means but I don't want to live without a quick, dependable and restorable system image backup. I agree with viking777 that there should be more and better backup/restore options available.

Thanks for the idea. I'm all patched and backing up fine.

Music to my ears my friend!

During the course of my life I have kind of got used to usually being in a minority of one when it comes to my ideas, but to think there is actually somebody out there that thinks the same way is refreshing!!