Mandrake 9 ---lilo issues

Guest bbabiuk

Guest bbabiuk

I have recently installed Mandrake 9.0. I have installed many previous editions of Mandrake prior to this, and many different distros. After I install Mandrake on my 2nd hard drive, (XP is on my first hard drive) the graphical lilo comes up as all "9"'s. And then goes dead. I can't boot into anything. I tried using the first cd's rescue image to reinstall the bootloader, but with failure. What have I done wrong? I must mention that I previously had Libranet 2.0 installed prior to this installation.

What you describe is what can happen when your MBR gets messed up, i.e. '9' will be continuosly printed across the screen when you try to boot. I think it means your BIOS can't find something in your MBR. I get the same thing when I use Powerquest's Drive Image to restore but I can always get lilo back by using the rescue utility on CD1 to reinstall lilo.

If you made a boot floppy you can try booting off that and checking the boot configuration in Mandrake Control Center. I'm not that familiar with XP, but I'm sure there must be a way to restore the windows MBR. I know in win 98 and earlier, you just boot off the start up disk and enter the following command at the DOS prompt: fdisk /mbr. There should be a space between "fdisk" and "/mbr".

I am not too familiar with Windows XP myself, but to restore the Windows MBR (or at least to get it to boot w/o going through Lilo) I put in the Win98 Startup disk and type sys c: at the prompt. After that I could boot of the Mandrake CDROM and reinstall Lilo.

Problem is this probably wont work with WinXP.

I guess if I had to try something I would boot off the WinXP CDROM which orobably has a recuse or repair option there. After that I would boot of the Mandrake CDROM and use the resuce function there.

This is just my best guess.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/install/iboot3.html

http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?s...id=1158&lang=en

Hope these help... the sys c: thing I mentioned seems wrong, but I am pretty sure I did this sometime before .... :?:

I think this might work:

1. Repair the Windows XP MBR:

Boot from the XP CD into the 'system recovery console' and run these commands:

fixmbr

fixboot [drive]

command (with 'drive' being the 'drive letter' of the system partition). That's all.

2. Restore the Linux Bootloader:

Use the rescue system from the CD1 to restore LILO.

I dual booted a WIn2K system with ML just yesterday with no problems.

Anyway, I am a newbie. Goodluck.