changing the KDE looks

Abinash

Sir,

I have dwonloaded this http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/T...9b85326f9085acc

and i want to install it can you please guide me with the step by step procedure to install it.

On the site i read an article about installing icon package, it says something like this :-

* Open the KDE-Menu and start the Control Center

* Click on "Look and Feel" and "Icons"

* Browse to the location of the new icon theme by clicking the small folder button

* Click on "Install New Theme" to add the new icons

* Click "Apply"

* Have fun! :-)

But in my control centre there is no "Look and Feel" tab.

What to do???

That is a Karamba theme. You'll need to have Karamba installed to use it. Type as root: urpmi superkaramba. Once installation is complete type: Alt & F2 then type superkaramba to start it up. Click the new stuff button, in the centre of the browser window that opens up, find and click on the latest tab, you will now see the theme listed, select it and click install. Once installed, close the browser window and double click the new entry that you see in the main superkaramba window to start the theme running.

Can I ask why you are downloading stuff from different sources especially tarred packages when most of those programs are obtainable from Mandrivas resources ???. Especially when you do not seem to understand a lot of the basic operational aspects of Mandriva. Until you learn those aspects you will have a very hard time trying to do a compile and install of a tarred program with all of its dependency considerations.

That is why such packaging as rpm was developed to help users avoid having those difficultys.

If you were to go through the list of available Packages in Mandriva (not just what is on the DVD) by setting up urpmi for Main plus Contrib plus PLF-Free and PLF-non-Free, you find most of what you need.

John.

Can I ask why you are downloading stuff from different sources especially tarred packages when most of those programs are obtainable from Mandrivas resources ???. Especially when you do not seem to understand a lot of the basic operational aspects of Mandriva. Until you learn those aspects you will have a very hard time trying to do a compile and install of a tarred program with all of its dependency considerations.

That is why such packaging as rpm was developed to help users avoid having those difficultys.

Sir actually I was unaware about all those things you have mentioned above.

I had asked a mandriva user of this forum, he guided me to google and i got all these stuff.

If you were to go through the list of available Packages in Mandriva (not just what is on the DVD) by setting up urpmi for Main plus Contrib plus PLF-Free and PLF-non-Free, you find most of what you need.

John.

Thankx for the guide but I was unable to get you

can you be more specific how to do that

To the top right of this board, you will see an Easy-Urpmi link. Click it, and follow the instructions on that site to setup what you require.

Hi, Noticed the Easyurpmi link on this thread and was looking for some help.

I have tried using easyurpmi to add plf-free and non free to my sources, but all i get is :

bad <url> (for local directory, the path must be absolute)

Any ideas.

I am running kernel 2.6.22.18-server-1mdv.