DVD software?

Setlec

Hello everybody!

Ok, here is my problem:

I would like to know which GPL software is the best to read DVD movies/films... I'm used to download *.avi and *.MKV to watch movies on my pc but i never played a dvd movie *.vob on my linux OS...

Currently i'm using Mandriva 2008.1 "spring" free edition.

Also i'm having troubles to write files in a dvd with K3B and it fails the burnings with this message error :wall: :

[System] K3b Version: 1.0.4
[System] KDE Version: 3.5.9
[System] QT Version:  3.3.8b
[System] Kernel:	  2.6.24.4-server-1mnb
[Devices] SONY DVD RW AW-G170S 1.72 (/dev/sr0, ) [CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL] [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump]
[Used versions] growisofs: 7.0
[Burned media] DVD-R Sequential
[growisofs command:] /usr/bin/growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/fd/0 -use-the-force-luke=notray -use-the-force-luke=tty -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:2280659 -dvd-compat -speed=12 -use-the-force-luke=bufsize:32m 
[growisofs] Executing 'builtin_dd if=/dev/fd/0 of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
[growisofs] /dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 12.3x1352KBps.

(between those two parts are the files being written)

[growisofs] :-[ WRITE@LBA=1bec20h failed with SK=4h/ASC=08h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
[growisofs] :-( write failed: Input/output error

My DVD+/-RW is a SATA device...

Thanks in advance.

MPlayer works wonderfuly for me, actually it's about all I use for video files. But there is also Xine and VLC

urpmi mplayer-gui

as for burning dvd videos, I use k9copy. It also shrinks movies down to fit on a 4.7GB DVD

urpmi k9copy

both reside in the plf repositories

Other burning programs for Linux are Brasero (for Gnome) and Nero (any WM, but not free), but both are actually worse.

The issue (bad software communication with the drive) probably has to do with it's nature (burning to SATA drives is a relative newcomer). Can you check the actual drive status with the sdparm command and report back? Issues like DMA status are supposed to be handled automatically by the libata I/O library, but sometimes strange things can happen...

Edited by scarecrow

[root@CoH setlec]# sdparm /dev/sr0
/dev/sr0: SONY	  DVD RW AW-G170S   1.72  [cd/dvd]
Read write error recovery mode page:
 AWRE		1  [cha: y, def:  1]
 ARRE		0  [cha: y, def:  0]
 PER		 0  [cha: n, def:  0]
Write parameters (MMC) mode page:
 BUFE		1  [cha: y, def:  1]
 WR_T		0  [cha: y, def:  0]
 MULTI_S	 3  [cha: y, def:  3]
[root@CoH setlec]#

ok this is my sdparm result...

Cheers

I have had no problems with K3K burning to a SATA DVD burner. Been using it for over a month and burned dozens of data DVDs and a couple of iso DVDs as well.

The only problem I have with K3B is that occasionally it will not perform the data check at the end of the burn even though selected.

Definitely no problems with a SATA DVD burner.

Cheers. John.

Mplayer's default graphical interface is a bit ugly and confusing, but luckily enough there are quite a few good frontends- notably Smplayer and Gnome-Mplayer (actually the latter has no real Gnome dependencies- just GTK2, and ATM it's the best app to play streaming media via a browser, or with a standalone UI.