Mandriva 2009

mystified

With Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring out the door, the first steps toward Mandriva Linux 2009 are in progress. Ideas are being collected on this wiki page and Bugzilla is open for suggestions and ideas.

A number of items are in the wish list for kernel and hardware support. The ML 2009 kernel will use libata, the one item already marked as complete. Other wishes include an installed and enabled kerneloops package, full support for Lenovo Thinkpads T60/T61 (and T62 in the future) (with all the bells, whistles, drivers, hotkeys, LEDs, etc. working), making Xen work properly (or dropping it), and patches for kernel-level mode setting.

http://lwn.net/Articles/280648/

Guest classik

I like the fact that when logging in, Mandriva will start any applications that had been open before the last time I had logged off. But sometimes there are programs I don't want to restart. Yes, I could be more forward thinking when logging off, but perhaps when logging in, a Session Manager box would appear showing the applications that will be restarted, but only waiting 5 seconds or so for user input before automatically starting those programs.

Thanx.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not unique to Mandriva, you can do that with any distro.
Yeah, that's a feature of the Desktop Environment (KDE, most likely) not of the distribution. That's something the KDE programmers would be responsible for.

i wish they would include the prism54 driver by default so that i dont have to jump through hoops if i want to install mdv in my fujitsu-siemens amilo prov7100 laptop. the card is being detected as a Prism Javelin/Prism Xbow and at one time I was able to use the wireless in one of the Mandriva incarnations.

Right now my only option is to use ndiswrapper through a tedious ritual. Fortunately no chicken is slain to make the installation proceed smoothly.

ciao!

How about the fixing of the Mouse Thumb button problem still hanging around from 2008-Free ???.

Even crummy Windows (reflection on Microsoft rather than Win2000Pro) has it working without having to install specific Mouse drivers or muck around. :D

Cheers. John.

John, did we go through your thumb button thing together? I don't recall. Do point me at the thread if we did...thanks.

ramfree: we *do* include prism54 . However, it needs non-free firmware from the prism54-firmware package, which is not included in Free (because it's, well, not Free). It's in the public non-free repo, though, and included on One and Powerpack.

ramfree: we *do* include prism54 . However, it needs non-free firmware from the prism54-firmware package, which is not included in Free (because it's, well, not Free). It's in the public non-free repo, though, and included on One and Powerpack.

yeah, i misread the description from the project page about the sentence about SoftMac firmware. but having it on the non-free repository puts me in a catch-22 situation unless i hunt down a network cable and start exploring the cable jungle where my elusive wireless router resides. :)

right now i am happy with the ndiswrapper but a rpm would have been nice if the actual message said (you can get it from prism54 OR in the non-free repositories). :)

ciao!

Hello Adam.

I have been using your suggested....................../usr/bin/imwheel -k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500. (or MX800 or whatever)......since the last time.

The only problem is that I have to do it every time I log out and in, or reboot. This is most annoying but I have put up with it.

I feel I shouldn't have to do it in the first place since I never needed to do it before 2008-Free. So this is two Mandriva versions that the problems has persisted and I have a general feeling that Mandriva couldn't care less because I have seen no signs at all that they are intending to do anything about it apart from the errata acknowledgment that the problem exists.

By the way thanks for all the hard work you continue to do for all of us Mandriva users. :thumbs:

Cheers. John.

What I would like to see: A further improved way of upgrading the system from one release to another. The way it is now is already pretty good, but it can be improved, I guess. It would be useful to find a way to simulate or test in some way if the upgrade will work and then list up (.txt document or such stuff) where problems will/might arise (if e.g. X is expected to break).

This test and the following information for the end-user prior to upgrading would be very useful, as you can prepare your system perfectly for the upgrade path so that potential problems are minimized. E.g. you run the "upgrade-simulation-wizard"; it tells you "warning: package A will cause problems after an upgrade" (e.g. due to the used library or compiler or because it is no longer available on the repos). Thus you remove the package prior to upgrading. Violà, everything's fine.

Guest Atavist
...full support for Lenovo Thinkpads T60/T61 (and T62 in the future) (with all the bells, whistles, drivers, hotkeys, LEDs, etc. working)...

Modem too?

AussieJohn: huh, dunno why we left it at that point. Maybe it was one of the times when I got really busy and couldn't come back to this forum.

Anyhoo, all you need to do is edit /etc/X11/imwheel/startup.conf to look like this:

IMWHEEL_START=1

IMWHEEL_PARAMS="-k --rc /etc/X11/imwheel/imwheelrc.MX500"

and you should be good. If you give me the USB ID of the mouse (which you can get from 'lsusb' ) I can make sure it'll work in future releases.

arctic: the problem is that that's one of the classic situations where the simulation *is* the process: the only reliable way to know if an upgrade is going to work correctly is to do an upgrade. :) When we find out about a problem with doing an upgrade, we fix it; this is usually actually easier than trying to write something to warn you there's going to be a problem. The only problems that are left are the ones we didn't *know* about - the ones no-one found before release - so obviously we can't warn you that they're going to happen...

ramfree17: I'll see if we can improve that message.

ramfree17: hmm, from poking through drakconnect code, it *should* do exactly what you want it to do - it should have said "These packages can be found in Mandriva Linux One, Mandriva Linux Powerpack, or in the official non-free package repository". Did it not? Can you show a screenshot (or, even better, screencast) of exactly what it *does* say? Thanks!