no sound from M-Audio 2496 Audiophile [solved]

panportok

Go to your menu > tools > system tools > configure your computer > hardware > sound configuration > uncheck the 'enable PulseAudio' box and the 'automatic routing from ALSA to PulseAudio' box, then click OK. Open a media player and see if you have sound?

Go to your menu > tools > system tools > configure your computer > hardware > sound configuration > uncheck the 'enable PulseAudio' box and the 'automatic routing from ALSA to PulseAudio' box, then click OK. Open a media player and see if you have sound?

if you get this working could you PLEASE post a step by step on how you did it?

I have tried for 2 years and have had zero luck.

I finally pulled it out and put it in an XP box I designed JUST for my DAW.

I use my on board sound on my linux.

j

o to your menu > tools > system tools > configure your computer > hardware > sound configuration > uncheck the 'enable PulseAudio' box and the 'automatic routing from ALSA to PulseAudio' box, then click OK. Open a media player and see if you have sound?

No greg2... no result... anyway thank very much for your effort and the time you waste trying to help me

How do you alter the sound volume? I'm asking because the 2496 does not have a "master" channel.

sound what do you mean "sound" wellcome to the deaf land :)

Usualy I put a CD in the CD tray or Iplay a avi video with VLC , I put the Kmix at approx 50% and I play with the buttons at the Kmix/ Select Master Chanell

f you get this working could you PLEASE post a step by step on how you did it?

I have tried for 2 years and have had zero luck.

I finally pulled it out and put it in an XP box I designed JUST for my DAW.

I use my on board sound on my linux.

of course mindwave... If i getit working .....

I wont to tell you again a BIG thank you

When I rebooted I found this message:

sound server information message:

Error while initialising the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback (connection refused)

The sound server will continue,using the null output device

?????

Does user "panagiotis" (or whatever you call your default user) belong to the "audio" group? The above message suggests it doesn't (connection refused). So, add it, if it's not already in that group.

For that you can use kuser, or mcc/userdrake, or simply commandline (in a root konsole):

# gpasswd -a panagiotis audio

(again replace "panagiotis" with the correct username). You have to logout and then back in to make it apply.

Then, open a root console again, and run "alsamixer". You can navigate with the keyboard and unmute the two output channels. After doing that, run (again as root)

# alsactl store

To save the setting permanently.

Edited by scarecrow

Big success!!!!!

Back to civilisation :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

greg2,scarecrow I did from the biging all your instructions and MIRACLE!!! I HAVE SOUND

The sound now is a bit glitzy but .... :lol2: :lol2: today I don't touch anything......

A BIG BIG thanks to all of you guys... greg2,scarecrow,adamw

mindwave Tomorrow I will write step by step all the changes I did

I'd also like to know what makes the sound glitzy. The Audiophile 2496 is simply the best stereo audiocard for its money (or even 3x as much- the only thing missing is balanced I/O), and the Linux driver is exhellent. I guess it's either Pulse Audio, or a BIOS incompatibility that makes the sound "glitzy". As I said before, this is a really old card (designed back in 1997) and does have some issues when slotted to PCIE mainboards.

This is a synopsis from my first sound "experence" from Mandriva Linux.

I reinstaled mandriva 2008.1 no sound

From my motherboard BIOS I disabled the onboard sound card

I installed alsamixer and I run

alsamixer -c0

I played with the controls and the settings but no result

I installed envy24control.

I installed alsaconf

I used the command:

kdesu kwrite /etc/modprobe.conf

and

alias sound-slot-0 snd-ice1712

Then

arecord -l

The sound card is listed as card 0, then

alsamixer -c0

It it shows the card in the top left of alsamixer

then

menu > tools > system tools > KDE control center > sound and multimedia > hardware >

I selected the audio device, and I selected: advanced Linux sound architecture

then

menu > tools > system tools > configure your computer > hardware > sound configuration > I unchecked the 'enable PulseAudio' box and the 'automatic routing from ALSA to PulseAudio' box, then click Ok

Comments. Until the last step where I unchecked all the boxes from the I had no sound.

The sound now is not glitzy is very good.This was a missinformation from my part. because the fisrt time I heared sound from my compiuter was from a intenet radio with nusty signal .

Now everything is OK exept that every time I boot I found the following message:

Xine was anable to initialize any audio device

But I can hear everything clear :thumbs:

Forget everything. Audiophile instalation is much simpler : You need only the last two steps:

menu > tools > system tools > KDE control center > sound and multimedia > hardware >

select the audio device, and : advanced Linux sound architecture

then

menu > tools > system tools > configure your computer > hardware > sound configuration > I uncheck the 'enable PulseAudio' box and the 'automatic routing from ALSA to PulseAudio' box, then click Ok