just an idea, seeing if any others may be interested...

tyme

well still alot of talk but not much action :P

before you get too far into final product find out if you can do that.

package manager---make your own it does not have to be complex and if built right your users can easily change a configuration file and make packages to their optimizations or with something like makeworld rebuild their entire system that way. as well having a "simple" packaging system and the availablity of the build files and templates alliows users to contribute packages to the project (this is how arch works).

using rpm and apt is just lame imho because you would have to recompile all their packages which are i386 or i586.

i don't like autopackage's blaise attitiude to not evoking security or actively looking into it. signed packages are important in many many ways and i know that it is one of the major things arch is working on right now.

ultimately far more research is need to be done before you decide on final form. as well you really have to ask yourself does the linux community neeed another distro? choice is great but too much is a detraction and makes it hard to assist those with troubles.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well still alot of talk but not much action :P
don't look at me! i decided i'm not going to do this for the time being....and static won't really start on it till christmas...I dunno 'bout the other people...

Guest c_m_f
i don't like autopackage's blaise attitiude to not evoking security or actively looking into it. signed packages are important in many many ways and i know that it is one of the major things arch is working on right now.

this is from the autopackage schedule page

0.7 Add support for integrity checking: allow for checksums, MD5 hashes, and perhaps PGP signatures too?

correct me if i'm wrong (which i could be ;)) but isn't PGP a form of security?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cwshupe

been out of programming for a while. would love to learn the inside of operating system.

wife want to sell house first, program later. Probably find away to make internet installation earier. :D

cwshupe

cwshupe, tyme's idea is unfortunately off for now

But if you want to learn the nuts and bolts, Linux From Scratch, www.linuxfromscratch.org if you haven't aready done it, is great, i'm making one now. There's little programming involved, or at least i haven't come across any, and i've learnt loads.

Good luck

James