just an idea, seeing if any others may be interested...

tyme

as much as i don't require DE's leaving them out of your distro is a bad idea. if you want people to use it you NEED to have one or both. there are plenty of serious users that will not trifle with a distro that does not have these DE's. KDE is considerably easier to maintain and gnome is not.

core libraries are not what you need to be thinking of really i mean you need them but most of a common linux base is applications such as ncurses, gzip, pam, etc. libraries usuallly come is as depends but what yiou put in base should be all you need to have a perfectly working console boot.

oh and having a default DE/WDM is likely not what you would want to do either from the way you are talking. lots of people like flux but it is far better to leave the selection up to the usetr just have a few WDM and one of the two DE's that they can choose. one WDM should be really sparse like ratpoision or something or fvwm2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, well we don't wanna be compiling on a P200 given that as Sarah31 writes (and I know from experience) well be doing a lot of compile/tweak/compile/tweak

P733 in an XBox seemed more reasonable although I'm completely willing to admit I have a vested interest. Erm, when you spend your ?199 you cost M$ money they hope to recoup through 60? games and the online service. But guess what, they ain't getting it they just subsidised a nice Multimedia PC..at least from me!!!

Plus its a quality bit of kit. I'm currently typing on a MS keyboard (came with a pre-built PC and have my PS-2 mouse the same) Just 'cos i think M$ are nasty doesn't mean I won't use their kit if it suits me and its cheap. I'm not saying it has to be Xbox, don't get me wrong I just thought its simpler to start off with a consumer item PC before opening ourselves up to 'exotic' hardware.

Thats a big advantage Apple have ...

Debugging of release 0.99 will be a damn site easier if everyone has the same configuration. Even if its true PC based its going to be a whole loada pain with video drivers etc. and determining whats modularised and whats built into the kernel.

This is what I mean about 'favorite' too. First build a firm base, a working if not your ideal distro and then start adding best of breed type applications to a pre-working system.

No problem with Flux box...

Talking of need to have ... what's linux without GIMP... Its got all the GTK baggage attached but is there any alternative??

Newbies shouldn't use a distro created by college students ;0)
Agree completely, still were using a kernel built by one :-)

Oh and a few thousand others ....

tyme on LFS: Yep pre-requisiste unless we have like theme designers.... I pretty uch suck at user interfaces....just can't keep the interest. What was it tyme said about geeks and ADD.....???

I'll mail tyme a tenative ... skill list....

sarah31: i said gnome/kde nuetral, not independent ;-) _personally_, i prefer gnome. but i'm going to guess that if this works out we should have some gnome users and kde users working in the respective areas.

Gowator: sorry, Xbox is out ;-) regular PCs are in...just how it's gotta be ...

hmm, yeah...let's hold of any more discussion for now. i want to get those emails and see what we have in the way of interested persons. then we can setup a time to discuss everything, probably on an irc channel on freenode. and so forth....

hmm, yeah...let's hold of any more discussion for now.  i want to get those emails and see what we have in the way of interested persons.  then we can setup a time to discuss everything, probably on an irc channel on freenode.  and so forth....

you can use my channel #lhf if you like for your conversing it ain't that busy

its on freenode (yuk)

Sarah31

Yeah, i kinda agree. I know fluxbox does partial gnome support but not exactly which parts.

My reasoning is if you take the baggage you mightest well take the goodies.

LiveCD... its like good for testing. Like if tyme sent you a live CD you could test it without risking loosing your beautiful archlinux install on a bad partition install routine...

Erm, RPM's by themself suck (IMHO) but with urpmi theyre much better ...I can live with urpmi but rpm's alone are a nightmare if you don't have broadband. I got mine Saturday (long story why not before but I live in lots of countries). After adding the contribs, plf and texstar +300Mb of updates I'm finally at a point I wanted to be at.

Anyway, I haven't tried a Debian based stuff (except Lindows) so apt is unfamiliar. Anyway . .. i know some people really hate Lindows but it does work. If you look at what they did they started off with a Debian distro, added an installer and (well quite a bit of stuff) and Called it lindows. Ver1 used apt-get, Ver2 a heavily modded apt-get and apparently the new installer is completely redeveloped.

Point is look how they did it in stages.

Anyway, thats why release 0.99 has to be minimal. (IMHO) Until theres a stable core distro people can install and use (if minimally) testing will be hard.

Same thing for kernel ... It might take a year but we can't afford to keep changing for the latest kernel every month.

Same thing for GCC etc. need to get a stable version and stick with it through hell and high water until we have a CD that boots/installs and runs the basics. Even the experts screw up. (Remember the glibc change in RH7.0)

Just my 2c ...

Now what do i need to do to use IRC....

Ive just stuck a client in (KSirc) server at freenode is asking for a password.

Do i sign up or what....

mozilla has builtin irc....but for the rest sorry..:)...but for the distro...

It has to scream security!!!!! speed!! and a little bit userfriendly....to my opinion.

What would eb teh difference with slackware, .... Whjat will it make different for the other distro's???I suppose ready to use for games, multimedia,...some cool gpl-games already installed or to choose ....or ?????

The irc is very quiet(have been there :D)

after some discussion last night with some people who definitely know more about this subject than me, I've decided to place this on the back burner until I learn more about Linux. Per a discussion I had with static, I believe he plans to go forward with this, but not really until Christmas time.

So...I guess contact him. I'm looking at other projects that I feel I'm better suited to do right now.

My turn to blabber out loud.

If you are thinking that your own distro is too much to tackle, maybe start off with something a tad easier (if ?). Got to thinking after reading this at PCLO:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?n...rticle&sid=6933

I was thinking of a sort of modified Mandrake. Maybe like Drake Lt, or MubDrake. A one cd, polished version that would be easier to download and to get started with a Mandrake desktop. Afterall, why download almost 2 gigs, when I only need less than a cd full to get started. I can always add more with urpmi.

I would love to try this myself, but I really don't even know where to begin or even any legaleze involved here.

I was thinking of a sort of modified Mandrake. Maybe like Drake Lt, or MubDrake. A one cd, polished version that would be easier to download and to get started with a Mandrake desktop. Afterall, why download almost 2 gigs, when I only need less than a cd full to get started. I can always add more with urpmi.

I would love to try this myself, but I really don't even know where to begin or even any legaleze involved here.

Now this is a good idea.. a higher optimized mandrake geared toward the desktop would be nice. Less importance on server stuffs, one DE, streamlined configuration system (less dependance on menudrake for example), one app per application, etc. Should be doable in two cds I think.. maybe even one.