could not mount compressed loopback - fatal error

Pitrisss

Hello,

i have downlaoded and try instaled LinuxMandrive Powerpack2008 but when i reboot PC it show the blue screen with"boot from harddisc and instal linux......"So i push instal linux...and in few steps it write:first:could not mount compressed loopback and then:fatal error finishing initializing

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!THANK YOU

First, check the md5 sum on the iso you downloaded and make sure you have a good download.

Next, post your hardware specifications, eg cpu(intel, amd), motherboard, type of hard drives(sata or pata), type of optical drives(ide or sata), amount of ram, etc.

That's pretty standard hardware. Shouldn't be any problem. I would suspect either a bad download or a bad burn. You can verify that you have a good download by verifying the md5sum of the iso you downloaded. You can do that in windows with many freely available applications. See, for example:

http://www.md5summer.org/

md5sum is a system for verifying that two files are identical. When you run md5sum on a file it will generate a long series of letters and numbers like this for example - a74e36523069fdb1829f975cfb21e34b. On the website where you downloaded your mandriva iso, there should be a separate text file named md5sum or something similar which will give you the md5sum of that iso. When you run md5sum on your downloaded iso, you should get the same numbers and letters generated as those in that text file. If you don't get that, it means your downloaded file is different than what's on that website, i.e. it got corrupted in the download process.

Checking whether you have a good burn is more problematic from within windows. Assuming your iso is not corrupted, you could try reburning at a slower speed. If you have access to another computer, you could try booting your dvd there. If you encounter similar problems on a different box, chances are high that you have either a bad download or bad burn.

By the way, the current release for mandriva is 2008.1. If you have club access, you can download the 2008.1 powerpack version. If not, I would recommend that you try the free version of mdv 2008.1 which you can download here:

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

Get the one that includes the drivers and plugins as that will have the proprietary nvidia driver for graphics card. It's a smaller download too(one cd) but after installation you can add all the additional software sources called "repos" using the "Easy Urpmi" link at the top of the page and virtually all the software on the powerpack version will be available to you and some that mandriva can't include for legal reasons(eg win32 codecs) will also be available for download and installation.

Are you able to boot at all into windows? There should be an entry to select windows on the initial boot screen. If you are able to select and boot into windows and just want to change the default boot up to windows instead of linux, that's easy to do. If you are unable to boot into windows at all, that's mroe complicated.