Aiptek Tablet problem & some joystick problem

Hello there.

I'd need some help with my Aiptek 12000U tablet. I have the driver installed (I guess it's installed by default?), but I have no idea how to configure it.

The pen works, I can point it and the cursor follows happily. But when I try to press it against the tablet to draw, nothing happens. I can't click with it, though I can use it to move the cursor and then click on the mouse button. But of course this is too difficult and there is no pressure detection, so it defies the point. I think the configuration is just off, but any tutorials I find with Google are way outdated. I haven't managed to get them to work. It seems I have to manually edit xorg.conf; can someone give me instructions for doing this correctly? Thank you.

Then another, smaller problem. Mandriva detects my wireless keyboard and mouse adapter as a joystick: K Control Center says "Microsft Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 3.1A (/dev/js0)". The pointer is way off, in the upper left corner. This causes problems with wine, and I can't use my actual joystick as it's js1 and most games seem to use js0. Is there any way to disable joystick or to switch the adapter to js1 from js0? Thanks.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Thanks for the reply, I've been busy for a few days and haven't had the time to try.

I followed the instructions, but now the area where the pen is usable is limited to 1/4 of the size of the tablet... and drawing still doesn't work.

I guess I did something wrong, but I don't know what.

I have just got myself Aiptek 12000U tablet. I had it working when I first plugged it in, but after trying to configure it through MCC Hardware it hasn't worked at all... From MCC Hardware I can see it and it's using aiptek module, but still doesn't work...

I have installed the aiptek module from MCC - and also installed the hyperpen module just in case... No help.

For some odd reason the device is not listed in /proc/bus/input/devices:

# cat /proc/bus/input/devices
   I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c03e Version=0110
   N: Name="Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse"
   P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-1.1/input0
   S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
   U: Uniq=
   H: Handlers=mouse0 event0
   B: EV=17
   B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
   B: REL=103
   B: MSC=10

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=03f0 Product=0024 Version=0110
   N: Name="CHICONY HP Basic USB Keyboard"
   P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-1.2/input0
   S: Sysfs=/class/input/input1
   H: Handlers=kbd event1
   B: EV=120013
   B: KEY=10000 7 ff9f207a c14057ff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
   B: MSC=10
   B: LED=7

I: Bus=0010 Vendor=001f Product=0001 Version=0100
   N: Name="PC Speaker"
   P: Phys=isa0061/input0
   S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
   H: Handlers=kbd event2
   B: EV=40001
   B: SND=6

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0002 Version=0000
   N: Name="Power Button (FF)"
   P: Phys=LNXPWRBN/button/input0
   S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
   H: Handlers=kbd event3
   B: EV=3
   B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
   N: Name="Power Button (CM)"
   P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
   S: Sysfs=/class/input/input4
   H: Handlers=kbd event4
   B: EV=3
   B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

FYI: I have posted the same question in Mandriva Forum (in Greg's linked thread - thanks Greg!) http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=488991#488991

• 5 weeks later...

Okay... I didn't manage with the tablet, but I guess it's not that important considering that I don't use it to do any actual work and am pretty bad in drawing/graphics...

But the "my-wireless-keyboard-receiver-thinks-he-is-a-joystick" is pissing me off. It really disturbs playing games that use a joystick, and especially those that lack the option to not use a joystick. For example in Trackmania Nations Forever (via Wine, works pretty good) the car turns right at race start unless you quickly hit some key on the keyboard. It's annoying because holding a key doesn't work and it always manages to turn a little bit and giving the opponent a headstart, which really does matter on more difficult tracks.

So, is there any way to make the receiver realize that it is *not* a joystick? Or to remap it to js1 from js0, so that my actual joystick could be used as js0 (some games only use js0 even if other joysticks are available)?

Edited by anyone