Archlinux questions

OK, I decided to copy similarities from my mandrake files to the archlinux files, and I have mount working now. I even got x to launch, but it wasn't pretty! I can't figure out pacman. All I can do is update the database. My network is working because I can ping internally and out on the internet. I can get a response from a query, but I can't install anything. Does pacman require an exact pkg stipulation? I installed x from the cd by booting with it, but that's cheating! How does pacman work?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, to look for the name of a package try:

pacman -S -s <string to search for>

(this may be off, i can't remember exactly right now)

and it will tell you what the name of the package is.

then, just pacman --sync <name of package>

pacman -S <pkgname>

package name are all lower case and literal, for example:

pacman -S j2sdk

pacman -S cdrtools

to search for a package in the trees:

pacman -Ss <search string>

there are three package repositories available (though there in really nothing much in unstable). BUT to get access to the unofficial and unstable tree you have to edit your /etc/pacman.conf and uncomment the [unofficial/unstable] and the servers listed under it

pacman -Syu will sync with the package database and inform you of upgrades.

if you installed from cd then you MUST upgrade pacman first (pacman -Su pacman) orhter wise you will hit a string of annoying errors that relate back to some minor changes in the pacman code and how it interacts with the database.

man pacman will give you more usage terms.

Thanks for the responses. I did edit pacman.conf, and figured out the syntax. The first thing I did was update my system, so I assume I have corrected any pkg errors. I have gnome and kde installed, (yes, I like gui's! :wink:) but they do not launch. I see that a file structure has been made in /opt for both. Do I copy these out to the perspective directories, or is there another conf file that I need to edit? By the way, I am learning alot more than with gentoo! :oops:

okay first i must ask if you are graphically logging in with kdm or gdm.

if you are then .... well i dunno what to suggest because i have been logging in without kdm or gdm for so long i have to admit i no longer know how to use them at all.

if you are logging in without a gui then all you need to do is edit your ~/.xinitrc that should have been created when you created your user (provided you created your user via the manner suggested in the documantation and that documentation has not changed (i don't look at the docs much any more). there should be a list of exec commands for start various window managers and (if memory serves) gnome and kde. if they are not there then just add:

exec startkde (i think)

exec gnome-session

if you are or want to use gdm or kdm then i would suggest seeking help on the arch linux forum (or searching that forum) for using these login managers. i am so rusty with them and they have changed so much that i would not want o give you bad advice.

EDIT: oh yeah in .xinitrc you leave the DE or WM that you want to use uncommented all other should be commented (have a "#" at the beginning of the line) or you will not get into any of them.

I did find and edit the .xinitec file in my /home directory, but the x server says it can't execute the startkde command. Neither can root. I am not using any login manager. For this distro, I'm using command line. I'll try the archlinux forum.

Ix: might want to check /opt/kde....i installed gnome, and gnome-session didn't work-it wasn't in my paths. the file was in /opt/gnome/bin/ or something similar to that. can't remember ATM.

Thanks. I found that one, as I remembered something I did when kde went from 2 to 2.2, or something like that, and they started the /opt thing. It was either that or copy everything into each directory, which I also did once, and it worked. I've got some dep errors in kde, and I'm trying to figure out which two packages I need to use. I am too used to rpmfind! :roll:

well depending on how you installed the kde stuff (selected it during install or went through the list on the webpage) there should be no unresolved dependencies (well at least if youare using the -S option).

anyway if you want to make sure you have all the dependencies, and if you don't mind having ALL of the kde stuf simply do:

su to root

run abs (just type abs)

when that is complete:

cd /usr/abs/kde

pacman -S `/bin/ls` (please note those are forward quotes not this ' quote)

then answer the the questions that follow(basically you will be asked if you want to install the kde package set and related dependencies then you will be asked if you want to install existing kde packages). this will surely satisfy any dependencies that were not met when you originally installed.

sarah31

I really appreciate the help! You were right, archlinux is a more linux experience! I am going to straighten out kde when I get home from work. I did get enlightenment running. I figured a simple manager would tell me if my X config is a problem. I no doubt have done something wrong when I was learning pacman.

This is an update to the adventures of archlinux. Sarah31 advised that the first thing I update after a cd install was pacman, which I read after I tried doing jazz in the system. I could not get anything to update correctly, so I finally forced a pacman update, which worked. I then had to force an update of the entire system. Now, I have gui's running and a new kernel!

I am having trouble with sound. Do I need to re-make my modules? Or should I just run through the list of modules already present?

(This is the first post I have made via my new arch installation!)

look and see if the module that you need for your soundcard is present.

what soundcard do you have?

for my audigy, i had to get the kernel with abs and then rebuild the emu10k1 module.

I have an old sound blaster live! card. When I upgraded my system, I also got a new kernel which is recognizing my usb ports. I read an article at the archlinux users forum which said that the new kernel no longer needed an initrd.img. I got rid of it and the whole thing boots fast and modules load nicely.

Two problems remain: sound and nvidia video. I've read something about patching the driver, but haven't done it yet. I can't play RTCW until nvidia is working.

all i did was download NVIDIA's script for installing their drivers, ran it as root with X off.

i then added this line to /etc/modules.conf:

alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

(or maybe it was added by itself....I can't remember :? )

Why do I keep forgetting about that script?? :oops: I did the same thing in gentoo. Anyway, nvidia is working, now to delve into the sound thing!