improper power off, now won't start

papaschtroumpf

I accidentally powered the computer off while it was running.

Now it won't start, it says something about errors on the filesystem and forcing a check, and nothing appears to be happening, no progress bar, no nothing.

I think I hear harddive activity once in a while, is it doing a very long HW check (>45 minutes) without showing any progress (or warning that it will take a long time) or is it "stuck" and how do I fix it?

I did something similar years ago and had to re-install because what4ever repair procedure I was told to do at hte time screwed up all kid of things. I thought linux was past that now.

Thoughts? Advice?

Running Mandriva 2007.1, I think he system disk is fs3, but not sure what filesystem the data disk that it's stuck on is, either fs3 or FAT(32?).

it says something about errors on the filesystem and forcing a check, and nothing appears to be happening, no progress bar, no nothing.

If it's still running, hit the Esc key and you should be able to see what's going on. Depending on what you were doing when this happened, your system cpu speed, system RAM and the hard drive size, it may take longer than you would expect to do an fsck.

If it's still running, hit the Esc key and you should be able to see what's going on. Depending on what you were doing when this happened, your system cpu speed, system RAM and the hard drive size, it may take longer than you would expect to do an fsck.

took between 2 and 4 hours, but I just checked on it again and it is up and running. My HW specs are in my sig. The disk is 500G. I didn;t expect it to take hours.

I wish there was a warning that it may take a long time or something like that...

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Disk checks will take a long time depending on a number of factors. Those usually being because of type of disk (IDE/SCSI/SATA) as well as disk/partition sizes. It's hardly surprising though that 500G took a few hours to scan.

At least you were able to get back to up and running even if it did take a couple of hours because of the Disk size. :thumbs:

Imagine how you would have gone if it was Windows. :D After an as long or longer time you still probably wouldn't be up and running.

Cheers. John.